Bader Scott Injury Lawyers are skilled Atlanta nursing home abuse lawyers and understand the complexities of these sensitive cases. You love your family, and you want to protect them. When someone you love has been neglected, you need to take action. If you feel like you know someone that was a victim of nursing home abuse, you need to fight for their rights. Contact a Rome Personal Injury Lawyer today, so that we can go over your options.
Elder abuse and neglect
We have handled numerous cases of elder abuse in the state of Georgia. These cases are important to us because we understand how important your family is to you. Entrusting the health of your loved ones to caregivers can be difficult, especially when these facilities take advantage of your trust.
There are laws in place to ensure that the elderly get proper care from caregivers whether they are in facilities are at their own homes. If you suspect that your loved one is being abused, you need to contact us immediately.
Types of nursing home abuse
Nursing home abuse can generally fit into several different categories:
- Physical abuse: This can happen once or several times. The battery can occur in a nursing home, but physical injuries can also happen on during everyday routines. For example, some caregivers will slap the elderly to get them to take their medication. A caregiver could also push a patient to get them to stand up or sit down. Some symptoms of physical abuse include bruises, hair loss, abrasions, sprains, and more.
- Emotional abuse: Some caregivers will yell at their elderly patients. It’s unfair for your loved one to be shamed and ridiculed. Emotional abuse can also occur when a patient is isolated from the rest of the patients.
- Financial abuse: Since most caregivers are underpaid, elderly patients can be easy to manipulate and abuse financially. Caregivers can also have elderly patients sign forms to give up financial control of their assets. It is also easy to steal valuables from the rooms of the patients. You should always keep an eye on your loved one’s bank account, will, and other financial records.
- Sexual abuse: Elderly patients are vulnerable, and most of them can’t report when they are being abused. Sexual abuse occurs when the elderly patient receives unwelcome sexual contact. Most patients have mental conditions that don’t allow them to give consent. Some examples of sexual assault are: caressing, touching, involuntarily nudity, watching pornography, sexual battery, sexual assault, and obscene photography.
- Being abused sexually can also manifest in physical and emotional symptoms. If your loved one is sexually abused, they could begin withdrawing from others or suffering from depression or anxiety. Physically, sexual abuse can cause bleeding, bruising, or infections.
- Neglect: This can be intentional or unintentional. Facilities could be denying patients sleep, exercise, food, or medication. When a facility’s actions result in the harm of a patient, this is negligence. The facility, or caregiver, could be held financially responsible.
What damages can I recover in a nursing abuse case?
In a successful nursing home abuse lawsuit, there is some financial reward. This settlement will help recover and give compensation for other pain and suffering because of the abuse. Some things that we consider when filing your claim are:
- Economic losses: Sometimes, the damage is enough to inflict serious injuries. We will seek compensation to cover medical bills, rehabilitation cost, and future medical bills. We can also recover financial losses if your loved one suffered from monetary exploitation.
- Non-economic losses: These are harder to recover because there isn’t a set valuation. Many cases have pain and suffering as well as other mental anguish associated with the abuse. We use our experience with past cases to come up with proper settlement amounts.
- Punitive damages: If there is malicious intent, we can seek this type of compensation. Generally, this is criminal negligence that results in loss of limb, permanent disability, or death. It’s essential to have legal help in these cases because defendants will use any excuse to shift blame. An experienced nursing home abuse attorney can cut through these defenses and build a strong case.
Do I need a nursing home abuse attorney?
Our elders should be the most treasured members of our society. Unfortunately, the fact that they’re defenseless makes them targets. In fact, in most abuse cases, the perpetrator is someone that knows the victim personally. So, the victim trusts the person that is taking advantage of them.
Each case is different, and that is why you need an experienced attorney. If you want to bring a lawsuit against a nursing home, you can bet that they will have legal representation. You could be facing a strong defense and miss out on the compensation that you deserve.
Hire an experienced nursing home attorney
We know how much you love your family, and we’re here to help. If your loved one was a victim of nursing home abuse, contact Bader Scott Injury Lawyers as soon as possible. Let’s start your case, so you can get a proper settlement and move forward with your lives.