Bader Scott Injury Lawyers are skilled personal injury lawyers in Rome, GA. He understands how lengthy and tiresome the process of applying for disability benefits can be. It would help if you had these benefits to help provide for yourself and your family. So, it’s essential that you hire an attorney that can get your claim approved. If you are considering filing for disability benefits, you should contact us today. These cases can take years, so we need to begin immediately.
Do I qualify for Social Security Disability benefits?
You must meet specific criteria before you can apply for SSDI. First, you must show that you can’t work because of your disability, and your disability can be either mental or physical. Your disability should last at least a year, if not for the rest of your life. Remember, the government would rather have you at work than pay you to stay home. So, they want to make sure that there is no way you can successfully maintain a job. It would help if you also were unable to support yourself.
I was denied, and now I don’t know what to do!
First, you need to relax. Almost every claim gets denied at the initial level. Now is the time to get an attorney if you don’t already have one. You have several stages to go through before your case is determined. First, you must file again at the reconsideration level. Then, you must wait for a hearing if your claim was denied.
Your hearing will take place in front of an Administrative Law Judge (ALJ). Your lawyer will help build your file and case for the hearing. All of your medical information must be up to date, along with information about your condition. The judge will review all of the evidence and determine whether you should receive disability benefits.
How can I prepare for my hearing?
Once you have been denied, it can seem like you will never receive disability benefits. Thankfully, two-thirds of all appeals are approved. So, you have better chances in the appeal than you ever had in the beginning. Having an attorney will also increase your odds for approval.
Here are some tips you can use to get ready for your hearing:
- Meet with your attorney. The first thing you should do is meet with your attorney to go over the details of your claim. It can take over a year to get a hearing, and your medical information could have changed. It would be best if you made sure that all of your information is up to date.
- Show up on time: You don’t want to make a bad first impression with your judge. If your disability benefits matter to you, you will show up on time. You also want to make sure that you have everything in order before you walk into your hearing. You should be relaxed and ready to talk about your case.
- Dress Business Casual: You will go in a courtroom for your hearing, and you need to wear the right attire. If you are too casual, it can be insulting to the judge. It would be best if you always wanted to put your best foot forward.
- Study Your Condition: You will have to speak about your disability candidly with the judge. It is your job to know about your disability. Your lawyer needs to be knowledgeable as well.
- Get Personal: You will need to share about how this disability has impacted your life. Your judge will want to know that your disability is severe, and it affects your ability to work. If you aren’t honest, you might get denied because the judge doesn’t believe you need disability.
How long will this process take?
From the moment you file, through all your appeals, it can take years to get your benefits. It depends on the number of cases that are waiting on hearings. Currently, Georgia is way behind in their hearings. So, it would help if you were prepared to wait at least a year.
Get disability benefits with the help of an experienced attorney.
Statistically, you need a personal injury lawyer to improve your approval chances. Don’t jeopardize your disability benefits by handling your case on your own. Contact us today to discuss your options.