COVID-19 UPDATE: We are still here to help you from the comfort of your home. More Info >

Savannah Immigration Lawyers

If you or a loved one is dealing with an immigration issue in Savannah, you should have an experienced Georgia immigration attorney by your side to make sure your legal rights are protected and as an advocate for you.

Request a Free Consultation

The Savannah, Georgia immigration attorneys at Bader Scott Injury Lawyers are here to discuss any of your immigration issues. We’ve worked with many clients to find cost-effective solutions to their immigration needs.

Applying for Adjustment of Status/Green Card

If you are a foreign national in Savannah, Georgia, or throughout the United States, an adjustment of status allows you to apply for a green card without having to return to your home country to complete the visa processing.

You may qualify for a green card if you have a qualifying family relationship or through your place of employment. If you choose to apply for a green card, also referred to as a permanent alien registration card, or USCIS Form I-551, you will be given the ability to live and work in the United States. 

A green card will remain valid for ten years, and it is renewable. Additionally, if you are awarded a green card, you can apply for citizenship in the United States after a period of five years.

If you are a refugee or have asylum status, you may apply for a green card as well. Also, an abused spouse, parent, or child can file a petition on their behalf without the abuser’s knowledge through the Immigration and Nationality Act.  

Work Visas 

There are a few temporary work visas available to you if you want to come to the United States temporarily. These work visas include:

H-1B Visa: There are companies in the United States who employ graduate level and international workers in their field of expertise for jobs in which they can’t find enough U.S. workers to take these positions. If this is the case, you will use an H-1B visa. 

H-2 Visa: You may apply for an H-2 visa if you are a foreign worker in a non-agricultural field, and there aren’t enough U.S. citizens to fill these positions.   

B-1 Visa: It may be necessary for you to travel to the United States on a short-term basis for such things as conferences, to settle an estate, or negotiate a contract. The following conditions could qualify you for a B-1 visa. The initial period of stay is usually 1 to 6 months and can be extended for a period of up to 6 months.

J-Visa: A J-visa is an exchange visa and allows you to come to the United States as part of a cultural exchange program. Generally, professors, au pairs, and doctors use this type of visa. Employment is authorized as part of the J-visa exchange program. Additionally, your spouse and unmarried children would be eligible for a J visa as well.

K-1 Visas and CR-1 Marriage Visas

A K-1 visa is used if you are planning to marry a foreign national and have them live with you in the United States. A K-1 visa will let you bring them to the United States and get married within 90 days.

You may apply for a CR-1 visa is you plan to marry your fiancé in their native country and then bring them to the United States.

Both a K-1 vis and CR-1 visa have pros and cons. Our Savannah, Georgia immigration attorneys can advise you as to which option is best for you, help you file for the visa, and assist you in avoiding denial. 

U-Visa: If you’ve been the victim of a crime or an attempted crime in the United States who meets the individual requirements, you may qualify for a U-Visa. To be eligible for this visa, you must have suffered physically and mentally because of the crime, and you must cooperate with law enforcement. You will have to provide a personal statement, personal documents, and documentation from law enforcement and health care providers.

NACARA: The Nicaraguan Adjustment And Central American Relief Act was passed in 1997 and gave a legal way for certain classes of immigrants to enter and stay in the United States. The requirements can be very confusing, and specific provisions of NACARA have expired. We can assist you if you are eligible to apply for protected status.

Naturalization: If you have a green card and have been in the United States for at least five years, you can apply to become a United States citizen. If you’re married to a citizen of the United States, you may qualify for naturalization after three years. There are strict procedural rules that you must follow.

Asylum: Families have been trying to escape the gang violence in such countries as Honduras, El Salvador, and Guatemala and have sought safety in the United States. The right for you to seek asylum became part of U.S. immigration law when the Refugee Act of 1980 was passed. Asylum may be granted if you are a foreign national who has faced past persecution or fear future persecution as it relates to your race, ethnicity, political views, sexual orientation, religion, or membership in social groups.  

Defense to Removal

If you are a non-citizen of the United States and you break the law, you may be subject to deportation. If you have received an I-862 or Notice to Appear, you are facing being removed from the United States and should contact us immediately.  

In Savannah, Georgia, the immigration attorneys at Bader Scott Injury Lawyers can assist you in building a legal defense to demonstrate how your deportation could create a hardship. For example, you may be caring for an elderly parent or a spouse with health issues. By having a strong legal defense, we may be able to persuade the judge to cancel your deportation and issue a green card.

Immigration law is extremely complex and always changing. In Savannah, Georgia, the immigration attorneys at Bader Scott Injury Lawyers are here to help guide you through the maze of immigration law. We offer a free consultation so we can discuss any immigration concerns with you and advise you on your next steps.

Get in touch with us today to get started with your FREE case review. We’re only a call, click, or short drive away.