If you are a passenger in someone else’s car, the driver is responsible for his passengers’ safety. The driver’s responsibilities include providing you with a reasonable duty of care. If their negligence results in a car accident and you are injured, a personal injury lawyer can help you prove their negligence and pursue compensation from the driver or their insurance company.
As an injured passenger, you are entitled to recover compensation for your injuries and any financial expenses and losses stemming from your injuries. Calculating your damages and proving your right to recovery can be complex. Your lawyer will assess the value of your case and communicate with the appropriate insurer, including negotiating a favorable settlement on your behalf.
Compensation You Can Recover from a Negligent Driver
If you knew them personally, it can be awkward to seek compensation from a driver you were riding with. A personal injury lawyer can help. They can also help if you were the passenger in a rideshare vehicle involved in an accident caused by the rideshare driver.
Compensation your lawyer will request for you can include:
- Economic damages, including current and future medical bills and income losses. They can also include treatment-related travel expenses, property damage, and diminished property value.
- Non-economic damages, including physical impairment, disfigurement, and physical and emotional pain and suffering. They can also include your loss of enjoyment of life.
If someone you loved passed away because of an irresponsible driver, certain members of your family can recover a wide range of wrongful death damages.
You Have a Limited Time to Recover Monetary Damages
You are entitled to compensation from a negligent driver, but the time you have to pursue it is limited by the laws of your state. The personal injury lawyer representing you will explain the filing deadline and any factors affecting it.
If your case cannot be settled outside of court and the statute of limitations expires:
- The court will prohibit you from filing your lawsuit
- Your lawsuit will be dismissed without ever being heard
If either of these happens, you will have no legal recourse compelling the driver or his insurance company to compensate you.
For a free legal consultation, call (404) 888-8888
A Car Accident Lawyer Can Help You Fight for Compensation
You do not have to fight for financial compensation after an accident without legal support. A personal injury attorney in your area will help you pursue the best possible outcome of your case.
Your lawyer will do all the following:
- Conduct a comprehensive investigation
- Locate and interview accident witnesses
- Calculate the financial value of your case
- Communicate with all parties on your behalf
- Explain complex legal and insurance terminology
- Address all legal questions and concerns
- Provide ongoing updates on the progress of your case
- Negotiate a fair and appropriate monetary settlement
- Representing you in court where necessary
If you were the passenger in a rideshare vehicle, your case can be more complicated than an accident involving a private driver. Your lawyer will communicate with the company and their insurance provider.
Understand the At-Fault Driver’s Responsibility to You
To recover damages from the at-fault driver or their insurance company, you must prove they were negligent, and their negligence caused the accident. That means proving they:
- Owed you a duty of reasonable care
- Breached their responsibility to provide it
- Caused your physical injuries
- Caused your financial consequences
Proving these elements on your own can be difficult. They can also be time-consuming and frustrating if you are simultaneously trying to recover from your injuries. A lawyer can compile evidence for you and organize your case file before presenting it to the at-fault driver and their insurer.
Evidence Proving the Driver’s Negligence and Liability
The evidence file your lawyer builds for you will tell the story of your accident. Your representative and the driver’s will rely on the accumulated evidence to determine what led to the accident. They will also rely on it to understand the accident’s financial impact.
Evidence your file will contain includes:
- Your car accident report
- Investigative notes
- Medical records and bills
- Employment records
- Necessary medications
- Accident scene photos
- Photos of your injuries
- Witness statements
Your lawyer may also include your own written statement and the results of an investigation with an accident reconstructionist.
Review Your Car Accident Case for Free
If you were a passenger in a vehicle and the driver’s negligence caused an accident, you could recover damages from the driver or their insurance company. At Bader Scott Injury Lawyers, we will explain when a vehicle driver is responsible for his passengers, help you prove their negligence, and ensure you understand your options for financial compensation.
Call one of our consultation team members for a free review of your car accident case today.