Even though we all do our best to stay safe while on the road, statistics can work against us. According to car insurance companies, the average driver will get into three to four car accidents in a lifetime. These accidents can be minor fender benders, or they can be more serious in nature, resulting in expenses that can last a lifetime.
If you are involved in a car accident, you may want to get help from a car accident lawyer in Norcross if you believe you are entitled to a settlement. If the wreck was caused by another party’s negligence, you very well may be according to Georgia law.
How Does the Claims Process Work? A Lawyer Explains
Georgia law allows you to hold the “at-fault” driver responsible for injuries and financial damages. To get compensation, in most circumstances you will have to file two separate claims: one for injuries and one for property damage.
Getting Compensation for Property Damage
Drivers will usually be able to handle their own property damage claim. The process involves getting in touch with the other motorist’s insurance company. After you make your property damage claim, a property damage adjuster will be sent out to evaluate your claim and estimate repair costs. The insurer usually pays the body shop for repairs directly.
Getting Compensation for Injuries
When it comes to an injury claim, things can get a bit more complicated. Having a Norcross, GA, car accident lawyer represent you can help ensure that you are compensated for the full value of your damages.
Here are the actions your car accident lawyer will take to make sure you aren’t left holding the bill:
- Open insurance claims: Your auto accident attorney will start by reviewing all available insurance to determine which types of claims to open. These can include a liability claim against the other driver, MedPay coverage, uninsured motorist coverage, etc.
- Collect evidence: When you are involved in a car accident, collecting evidence is crucial. You should take pictures and speak to any witnesses when it’s possible. Your lawyer will make sure all evidence is collected to ensure you are compensated fairly.
- Create a demand letter: This a letter that is sent to the car insurance company. It describes the accidents and the injuries incurred. It includes evidence like medical records, photographs, and billing statements.
- Make a statement: If you are involved in a car accident, the car insurance adjuster will want you to make a statement. It is very easy for you to implicate yourself while making these statements. Your lawyer will prepare your statement, and they may be with you on the phone while you deliver it.
- Negotiate a settlement: Many times, an insurance company will offer drivers a settlement. This can be a convenient way to keep both parties out of court. However, they may take advantage of you by offering a low settlement. An attorney will determine a fair settlement amount, and they will negotiate with the insurance company.
- File a lawsuit: If a fair settlement cannot be reached, the case may have to be taken to court. A car accident lawyer will make sure all legal matters are taken care of. They will fight in front of a judge to see to it that justice is done.
For a free legal consultation with a car accidents lawyer serving Norcross, call (404) 888-8888
What Does a Lawyer Have to Prove to Collect Damages?
In order to get damages from another party in Georgia, your car accident attorneys in Norcross must prove the car accident was the other driver’s fault.
While most people don’t mean to cause an accident, often they act negligently, and these actions end up causing the accident. Some examples of negligence can include texting and driving, speeding, or failing to obey stop signs. This negligence can also be deliberate. For example, damage that happened as a result of road rage.
Accidents can also occur due to damage on the road or faulty manufacturing of a vehicle. If this is the case, the at-fault party may be the city (in the case of road damage) or the car manufacturer of the vehicle.
In some car accident cases, both parties can be at fault. When this happens, you may both be entitled to recover some damages.
Norcross Car Accident Lawyer Near Me (404) 888-8888
What Is Comparative Fault?
According to Georgia Code § 51-12-33, this is a comparative negligence state, which is also known as “comparative fault.” This means that you can still recover damages even if you were partially at fault. If you are at fault, your damages will be lowered based on your percentage of fault. For example, if you are 30% at fault, your compensation will be lowered by 30%.
Your Norcross car accident attorneys will use evidence to get your percentage of fault lowered as much as possible based on the details of your case. This will ensure that you get the maximum settlement that is available in your case.
Is It Worth Getting a Lawyer for a Minor Car Accident?
You may want to get a Norcross car accident lawyer if you were in a minor car accident. Not hiring an attorney may be a costly mistake, because the full extent of your injuries may not be known until days or even weeks later. It’s worth getting a personal injury attorney who specializes in car wrecks, just to make sure your bases are covered.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
What Is the Average Settlement for a Car Accident With Injury?
Many car accident claims settle in the $14,000 to $28,000 range, but this figure can vary significantly. If your injuries were minor or you are found to be partially at fault, your case may settle for less. If your injuries are serious, or they result in lifelong disability, your settlement could be significantly more.
How Much Do Lawyers Charge for Car Accident Cases?
Personal injury lawyers represent clients who were injured in car accidents, and we typically work on a contingency fee basis. That means we collect our fees when your case settles. If you don’t win, we don’t get paid. The average contingency fee is 33%, but this can go as low as 25% or as high as 40%, depending on the specifics of your claim.
How Can a Traffic Ticket Impact a Car Accident Claim?
Being cited for a violation during a wreck can cause you to get a lower settlement or no settlement at all. Your car accident attorney in Norcross may have a harder time getting your percentage of fault lowered if you were issued a ticket as a result of your accident. However, if the other party was issued a ticket at the scene, your lawyer’s job may be easier.
Should I Get a Lawyer if I Was in a Car Accident?
If you were involved in a car accident, it is important to get a reliable Norcross, GA, car accident attorney on your side. Bader Scott Injury Lawyers specializes in car accident cases, and we have in-depth knowledge of all aspects of car accident law. We understand the impact of being involved in a car accident, and that’s why we connect with you on a deeper level.
If you are involved in a car accident, you are dealing with a lot of stress, emotional damage, and physical pain. Don’t make your legal problems part of this baggage. Turn to a lawyer who can lighten your load so you can focus on what’s truly important…your health.