Rideshare apps like Uber and Lyft have become popular around the United States, especially in busy areas like Sandy Springs. While you trust your Uber or Lyft driver to get you to your destination safely, sometimes accidents can happen along the way.
If you were injured or suffered due to a rideshare accident, you could be eligible for financial compensation. A Sandy Springs Uber & Lyft rideshare accident lawyer can help you find out more about your legal options.
Whether you are a rideshare driver, passenger, or third party, it is important to understand the different types of insurance coverage following your accident. After all, this could impact who is responsible for paying for the damages of your accident.
Insurance Coverage When a Rideshare App is Off
If a rideshare driver has their app turned off, they are acting as an individual not affiliated with the company for which they drive. This means that personal auto insurance will be your source of coverage in the case of an accident.
Coverage While Waiting For a Passenger
Once a rideshare app is turned on and the driver is waiting for a passenger, rideshare insurance generally kicks in. Both Uber and Lyft, for example, offer coverage of $50,000 per person for bodily injuries up to $100,000 per accident and coverage up to $25,000 for property damage.
Insurance During a Ride
When a passenger is picked up, both Uber and Lyft provide coverage up to $1,000,000 for third-party liability. This means that if you were involved in an accident with an active rideshare driver, their insurance policy could help cover the damages and loss you have experienced.
Insurance Requirements in Georgia
In the state of Georgia, GA code 40-1-166 requires commercial transportation companies and services to carry insurance. For vehicles designed to carry less than 12 passengers, the minimums include coverage for injuries of at least $300,000 per accident, and up to $100,000 for coverage per individual. Coverage of $50,000 for damage to third-party property is also required.
There are many different possible ways in which you could be covered as the victim of an accident involving a ridesharing app, but insurance disputes can be common. A lawyer may be able to help ensure you recover what you deserve.
The Legal Challenges of Rideshare Accidents
Even if you were involved in a rideshare accident while using an app such as Uber or Lyft, it can be difficult to win your case or recover what you deserve. The timing of an accident and the different phases of rideshare insurance coverage can make these types of cases particularly complex. A Sandy Springs Uber and Lyft rideshare accident lawyer can help you figure out if you have a case and ensure you have a shot to recover the damages you deserve.
For a free legal consultation with a uber and lyft rideshare accidents lawyer serving Sandy Springs, call (404) 888-8888
Compensation for Victims of Rideshare Accidents
If you choose to file a claim or have an insurance dispute following a rideshare accident, it is possible to recover compensation. Compensation could come in one of many forms:
- Reimbursement for your medical bills, including visits to the doctor, medications, rehabilitation, and more
- Damages for the trauma you experienced during your accident that can have effects on your emotional well-being
- Punitive damages are sometimes available for rideshare accident victims as a way of punishing liable entities or parties
- Compensation to help cover any legal fees you paid while filing a claim
- Reimbursement for any lost, stolen, or damaged property
Sandy Springs Uber and Lyft Rideshare Accident Lawyer Near Me (404) 888-8888
Benefits of Legal Representation
Hiring legal representation can help you seek compensation while focusing on your recovery. A lawyer from our firm can:
- Help you fill out and submit the paperwork necessary to file a claim
- Answer any questions you may have about your claim
- Help you determine the types of compensation you could qualify for
- Help you meet deadlines to keep your case moving through the court system
- Act as a support system as you recover from a stressful and difficult situation
- Much more
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
How Your Life Could Be Changed
Your life could be dramatically impacted by a rideshare accident. You could be left suffering in one or more of the following ways:
- Emotionally: Accidents can cause a sudden shock to your nervous system, and the resulting trauma can have an impact on your mental health. Vehicle accident victims like you can experience depression, anxiety, memory loss, sleeping difficulties, and much more.
- Physical Injuries: Rideshare accidents can result in minor injuries like abrasions, sprains, soreness, and more. Severe injuries such as broken bones, trauma to the head or neck, debilitating injuries, and even tragic death are also possible.
- Financial Loss: Rideshare accidents can result in property loss, expensive visits to healthcare providers, prescription medications that drain your bank account, and other situations you may not have budgeted for.
While there are a variety of ways in which rideshare accidents can cause loss, there are also ways you can pursue compensation.
Possible Causes of Rideshare Accidents
Rideshare accidents and other accidents on the road can occur for several reasons. Possible factors in your accident could include:
- Drunk Driving: According to The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), thousands of individuals lose their lives in vehicle crashes, including rideshare accidents each year, with many more injured.
- Distracted Driving: Sometimes Uber or Lyft drivers listen to loud music, stare at their navigation systems, talk on the phone, or engage in other dangerous distracted behavior that can put you at risk.
- Inexperience: Inexperienced drivers on the road, possibly including rideshare drivers, can make mistakes that are dangerous and could lead to accidents.
- Mechanical Failure: Because vehicles used by ridesharing apps like Uber and Lyft are personal vehicles, they are not subject to the strict regulations of traditional cabs. Mechanical failures could be common if a vehicle is not properly maintained. This type of negligence could have put you in danger or caused your accident.
- Traffic Violations: Any form of traffic violation such as running a stop sign or light, failing to use a signal, speeding, or reckless driving can increase the chances of an accident.
- Much more
Contact Us Today
Being the victim of an accident can prove to be one of the most difficult chapters of your life. Let our team at Bader Scott Injury Lawyers help you navigate the complex legal system so that you can focus on your recovery.