If you were injured—or lost a loved one—in an accident caused by someone who was texting while driving, you have the right to hold the other driver responsible and compensate you for your losses.
A Rome texting while driving accident lawyer can outline your legal rights, advise you on how to proceed with your claim, and act as your advocate throughout the process. A representative from the team at Bader Scott Injury Lawyers can review your case for free.
Recognizing the Dangers Associated with Texting and Driving
In this culture of multi-tasking, it is easy to think that driving and texting are safely compatible. However, there are many risks involved with distracted driving. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), more than 2,800 people were killed by a distracted driver in 2018.
Texting while driving can cause drivers to weave in and out of lanes, ignore traffic signals, and fail to adjust their speed to accommodate sudden changes in traffic patterns. These behaviors put the driver at a significantly higher risk of causing serious collisions.
If you have been the victim of someone else’s carelessness, Bader Scott Injury Lawyers is here to help.
For a free legal consultation with a texting while driving accidents lawyer serving Rome, call (404) 888-8888
Understanding Your Rights Under the Hands-Free Law
Responding to the alarming uptick in texting while driving accidents and injuries, the state of Georgia enacted the Hands-Free Law in 2018. According to the Georgia Department of Driver Services (DDS), the Hands-Free Law restricts the use of electronic devices and outlines penalties for violations.
Georgia’s Hands-Free Law Regulates Driver Phone Use
- Holding any wireless communication device while driving is prohibited.
- All text-based communication (including writing, sending, and reading texts and emails) is prohibited while driving.
- Video watching or broadcasting is prohibited while driving.
If you’ve been injured as a result of another driver’s distracted driving, the state of Georgia protects your right to pursue fair compensation. You have the legal right to hold the other driver accountable for their actions.
Expenses You May Be Able to Seek
- Medical Bills: This includes doctor and emergency room visits, hospital stays and surgical procedures, rehabilitation services, and medication.
- Lost Wages and Earning Capacity: You may have lost wages as a result of being unable to work in the immediate aftermath of the accident. Your income may also have been reduced if you were unable to return to the same position you held prior to the accident.
- Emotional Pain and Suffering and Mental Anguish: You could seek recovery for costs associated with managing and treating the emotional injuries you have suffered as a result of a traumatic collision.
- Property Damage: This includes repairs to your vehicle or any property within the vehicle.
- Funeral and Burial Costs: You can seek compensation for costs associated with providing your loved one with a proper burial service. Additionally, families of those lost in fatal accidents can claim compensation for the loss of companionship or guardianship (depending on the age of the surviving family members).
Regardless of the severity of your injuries, the stress of medical bills and lost wages can accumulate quickly. You deserve to focus on your recovery and the time to act is now. In Georgia, you have up to two years after an accident to file a lawsuit, according to OCGA §9-3-33.
A Rome texting while driving accident lawyer will fight for the financial peace of mind you deserve while you focus on your physical and emotional recovery.
Rome Texting While Driving Accident Lawyer Near Me (404) 888-8888
An Attorney Will Act as Your Advocate
Hiring an attorney is not necessary to file a personal injury claim after an accident. However, doing so can help you build and present a compelling case.
An attorney with experience in texting while driving cases will be prepared to negotiate with insurance adjusters, well-versed in compiling evidence to support your claim, and comfortable litigating on your behalf in front of a judge if need be.
Evidence an Attorney Can Use to Prove Your Case
Your lawyer may use any of the following to show that you were harmed by someone else’s negligence on the roads:
- Cell phone records that show dates and times of all incoming and outgoing text messages
- Footage from surrounding traffic and surveillance cameras
- Testimonies from eyewitnesses
- Vehicular damage that signals distracted driving (such as damage to the front of the driver’s vehicle)
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Contact Us Today for a Free Case Review
If you have been the victim of carelessness, you do not have to fight for justice alone. Contact Bader Scott Injury Lawyers for help holding the other driver responsible for their recklessness. We also work on a contingency fee basis, so you pay nothing unless we settle your case.
Call (404) 888-8888 to speak with a member of our team for free. We will explain your rights in easily understood terms, advise you on how to proceed, and offer a strategy for seeking the compensation you and your family deserve.