Bicycles are a popular mode of transportation and hobby. They are cost-effective, provide an excellent opportunity for exercise, and have virtually no impact on the environment.
Despite the benefits of cycling, there are also drawbacks. One of the biggest drawbacks is the potential risk of injury. Bicycle-related accidents may result in serious injuries under most circumstances. Collisions with motor vehicles are particularly dangerous.
If you have suffered injuries in a collision with a car or truck in Roswell, Georgia, a Roswell bicycle accident lawyer can help. Schedule a free initial consultation with the team from Bader Scott Injury Lawyers by calling (404) 888-8888 to get started on your claim.
Steps to Take After a Bicycle Accident
The steps you may be able to take following a bicycle accident can have a major impact on your health and your potential injury claim. There are state laws related to injury accidents, and failure to comply with them could have legal consequences. Taking the following steps could put you in the best position to recover from your injuries and obtain compensation you may be entitled to:
- Wait for police: according to Georgia Code § 40-6-270, both you and the at-fault motorist are required to stay at the scene of the accident if bodily injuries are involved. The only exception is if your injuries require immediate medical attention.
- See to your injuries: seek immediate medical attention if your injuries are severe. Even if you believe your injuries are minor, it is best for you to get checked out by a doctor, as some injuries do not manifest immediately.
- Do not discuss the accident: while exchanging information with the other driver is fine, never discuss the specifics of the accident with them. Anything you say at the scene of the accident could be misconstrued and used against you in settlement negotiations or a court of law.
- Speak with the responding officer: while you should never discuss the accident with the other driver, it is important that you speak with the officer on the scene. The responding officer is required to make a report, and the information within the report should be accurate so you can use it as evidence.
- Document what happened: if you are able, recovering evidence from the scene of the accident is helpful. This could include photos of the scene and contact information for independent witnesses.
- Seek legal counsel: consider contacting a lawyer to help you resolve a bicycle accident injury claim. An attorney can serve as your advocate and negotiate with the at-fault driver’s insurance company on your behalf.
These steps can go a long way to ensuring your health and legal rights are protected. An attorney can help ensure your claim is protected as you move forward with your case while recovering from your injuries.
For a free legal consultation with a bicycle accidents lawyer serving Roswell, call (404) 888-8888
Roswell Bicycle Accidents FAQsWhat Should I Do at the Scene of a Bicycle Accident?What Is the Average Settlement for a Bicycle Accident?Where Do Most Bicycle Accidents Occur?What Should I Do if I Was Involved in a Bicycle Accident?Is Speeding a Common Cause of Bicycle Accidents?What Injuries Are Associated with Bicycle Accidents?
How Drivers may Cause Bicycle Accidents
Most bicycle accident claims result from the negligence of the at-fault motorist. Negligence can come in many forms. For example, collisions between bicycles and motor vehicles may be the result of distraction, intoxication, or aggressive driving.
- Speeding: driving at unsafe speeds is one of the most common ways a motorist can collide with a cyclist. According to the National Highway Transportation Safety Administration (NHTSA), speeding motorists have less reaction time and require more time to bring their vehicle to a stop. This greatly increases the odds of a crash, and in 2018 speeding led to 9,378 deaths.
- Driver distraction: distracted drivers represent one of the most prominent dangers on American roadways. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), any act that draws a driver’s attention away from the road increases the chances of an accident, including visual, manual, and cognitive distractions.
- Aggressive driving: aggressive drivers include motorists that change lanes without signaling, pass other traffic illegally, or disregard traffic control devices. Aggressive drivers are less likely to keep a lookout for bicycles they may be sharing the road with.
- Intoxication: drivers under the influence of drugs or alcohol generally lack the faculties to operate their vehicle in a safe manner. These drivers may exhibit reduced reaction time and a deficient decision-making ability, among other factors.
Roswell Bicycle Accident Lawyer Near Me (404) 888-8888
Common Bicycle Accident Injuries
There are countless injuries that may occur because of a bicycle accident. In general, there are two primary injury risks involved with a crash. The first results from the direct impact of a motor vehicle with a cyclist. The second results from injuries a cyclist receives if they are thrown from their bike and strike the ground. Both have the potential to cause permanent or life-threatening injuries. Some common bicycle accident injuries include:
- Broken bones
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Cuts and bruises
- Internal bleeding
- Road rash
- Tendon injuries
- Ligament injuries
- Neck injuries
Each of these injuries has the potential to require extensive medical care. A Roswell bicycle accident lawyer can work to ensure you receive compensation you may be entitled to for these injuries. To learn more about how you could hold the at-fault driver accountable, contact Bader Scott Injury Lawyers at (404) 888-8888 for a free consultation.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
You may be Entitled to Compensation Following a Bicycle Accident
The injuries that come with a bicycle accident could alter your life forever. Simple tasks that you take for granted can become nearly impossible. In addition to physical hardships, you may also face serious financial consequences due to spiraling medical debt and lost wages.
If you suffered injuries while bicycling due to the negligence of another person, you have the right to pursue a civil lawsuit against them. Georgia Code § 9-3-33 sets a two-year statute of limitations to file a claim following a personal injury accident, such as those involving bicycle collisions. A Roswell bicycle accident lawyer can help you pursue the compensation you may be entitled to. Contact the team from Bader Scott Injury Lawyers at (404) 888-8888 to schedule a free consultation.