Bicycles are a fun and eco-friendly mode of transportation. However, when bicyclists share the road with other vehicles, they are vulnerable in comparison, which leaves them open to becoming injured in an accident.
If you have been injured in a bicycle accident in Smyrna, GA, you need a reliable lawyer on your side. This article will take a look at bicycle accidents and what you can do to protect yourself and your rights.
What Causes Bicycle Accidents?
Bicycle accidents are often the fault of the driver of a vehicle. In many cases, drivers are not obeying the rules of the road, and bicyclists become injured due to their negligent actions. In other cases, the weather or debris on the road can cause the accident. In some cases, bicyclists can be the at-fault party.
Here are some incidents that are likely to result in a bike accident:
- Failure to maintain the right of way
- Not paying attention to traffic signals
- Not looking out for blind spots
- Not using mirrors to check out who and what’s around you
- Vehicles turning into bicycle lanes
- Bicyclists weaving in and out of traffic
- Distracted driving
For a free legal consultation with a bicycle accidents lawyer serving Smyrna, call (404) 888-8888
Common Bicycle Injuries
When bicyclists are on the road, it is recommended that they wear a helmet and as much padding as possible. The enforcement of helmet laws has reduced the number of bicycle fatalities over the years.
However, there is still an average of 20 fatalities that occur annually and even more injuries that range in severity.
Here are some of the more severe types of injuries that can occur as the result of a car accident:
- Road rash
- Broken bones
- TBIs (Traumatic Brain Injuries)
- Spinal cord injuries
Smyrna Bicycle Accident Lawyer Near Me (404) 888-8888
Determining at Fault Parties in a Bicycle Accident
When any sort of personal injury accident occurs, the first step of the legal process is to find the at-fault party. This helps the personal injury lawyer determine who to go after and how much the compensation will be.
In the state of Georgia, bicycles are legally equal to vehicles. Bikes may be a lot smaller than cars, but it is still up to bicyclists to obey the rules of the road to make sure everyone stays safe.
However, because bicycles are smaller and because their riders are rarely at fault, it can be difficult to prove they caused the accident. It is for this reason that individuals who are involved in a bicycle accident should team up with a reliable lawyer.
What are the Bicycle Laws in Smyrna, GA?
To stay safe on the road, bicyclists should be familiar with local laws. Here are the laws that apply in the state of Georgia:
- Bicycles are seen as vehicles in the eyes of the law. Therefore, it is up to bicyclists to follow the same rules of the road as a vehicle would.
- Bicyclists over the age of 12 may not ride on the sidewalk. They must use the designated bike lanes.
- Some bicyclists choose to ride against the flow of traffic because they feel it makes them more visible. However, in the state of Georgia, this is not legal. Bicyclists must ride with the flow of traffic.
- Bicyclists must have the proper reflectors on their bikes. These include a white front line and a red rear reflector.
- All riders under 16 must wear a helmet that meets federal safety standards and fits properly. Note, while riders over 16 are not required to wear a helmet, it is highly recommended.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
What Should I Do After a Bike Accident?
After a bike accident occurs, you may be hurt and upset. However, there are some things you can do that will help you build a strong case. These are as follows:
- Take pictures and get witness contact information. The images will serve as evidence, and witnesses may be able to testify in court to help build your case.
- Call the police. The police will create a police report that can be used as evidence.
- Seek medical care. After an accident, you may not think you not injured, but sometimes injuries can manifest after a few days. However, if you wait to get medical care, at-fault parties may try to say the injuries were not related to the accident. That’s why it’s essential to get medical attention ASAP.
- Get the insurance company information of the other drivers involved.
- Call an attorney
Finding the Right Attorney for Your Georgia Bicycle Accident
Often, bicycle accidents are not cut and dry. There are many complexities, and complications can occur. That’s why it’s a good idea to have a reliable bicycle accident lawyer on your side.
If you are looking for a bicycle accident attorney in Smyrna, GA, look no further than the Scott Bader legal team.
Scott Bader’s attorneys have years of experience in the field of a car accident and personal injury law. They know how difficult it can be to deal with an injury, and they treat their clients with the proper level of care and respect. But when it comes to fighting at-fault parties, they use an aggressive approach seeing to it that the people they represent get the outcomes they deserve.
Being involved in a bicycle accident is never pleasant. Still, the Bader Scott team can make it as stress-free as possible. Call them to take the first steps toward moving forward with your life.