You may get money for damages caused by a loved one’s work-related death. Workers’ compensation insurance may cover your loved one’s funeral, medical expenses, and a portion of their lost income. While we understand that you’ll still be facing immense hardship because of your loss, these benefits may be an immense financial help.
An Athens death benefits attorney from Bader Scott Injury Lawyers can also help if your loved one passed away in circumstances unrelated to their job.
Death Benefits You May Receive Through Workers’ Compensation Insurance
O.C.G.A. § 34-9-265 explains that dependents of someone who dies under work-related circumstances may receive:
- Coverage for all medical expenses related to their fatal injury (or illness)
- A maximum of $7,500 for funeral expenses
- Two-thirds of the decedent’s average weekly wage for 400 weeks or until the time that the decedent would have turned 65 years old
Workers’ compensation insurance generally caps the weekly wage replacement that dependents receive. A lawyer from our team can inform you of the latest rules and caps regarding workers’ compensation death benefits.
We May Be Able to Sue for Additional Benefits
Employers are generally protected from lawsuits by their workers’ compensation insurance. However, there are circumstances where a workplace injury or work-related illness falls outside the scope of workers’ compensation insurance. This may be the case if a third party, such as an equipment manufacturer, caused your loved one’s death.
Surviving loved ones may choose to file a wrongful death lawsuit because:
- There are no monetary caps on a wrongful death lawsuit, as there may be on workers’ compensation benefits.
- A wrongful death lawsuit accounts for a broad number of damages, including pain and suffering.
- They decide, along with their personal injury attorney, that a lawsuit is the best way to hold liable parties accountable for their negligence.
You may have to sue if you want to get compensation for your damages, as workers’ compensation insurance does not cover all work-related deaths. Our death benefits attorney serving Athens will review your case and provide personalized advice.
For a free legal consultation with a death benefits lawyer serving Athens, call (404) 888-8888
How Bader Scott Injury Lawyers Can Help with Your Death Benefits Case in Athens
Our firm will lead the case for the compensation you deserve. Whether we are filing a workers’ compensation claim or pursuing a wrongful death lawsuit, expect us to handle all case-related responsibilities.
Our team can:
Document Your Damages
Proving damages is important in both workers’ compensation claims and wrongful death cases. We may document your damages with:
- Doctors’ records
- Medical bills
- An expert’s reconstruction of events that caused your loved one’s death
- Proof of your loved one’s income, which will show the financial cost of their passing
- Testimony from mental health professionals about your pain and suffering
- Invoices for funeral expenses
- Any other documentation that helps prove the cost of your loved one’s passing
Our Athens death benefits attorneys are familiar with losses that come from tragic, work-related deaths. We will make sure to identify and document all losses you have suffered.
Gather All Evidence Related to Your Claim or Lawsuit
Our team will seek out any video footage, witness testimony, and other evidence that is relevant to your case. We may hire one or more experts to reconstruct the events that led to your loved one’s passing.
Evidence is important, as it prevents liable parties from claiming that damages do not exist, or that they are not as serious as you claim. Our team will support your case with as much evidence as possible.
Deal with the Insurance Company Responsible for Your Death Benefits
An insurance company can be a threat to your financial recovery. In workers’ compensation cases involving death, the insurer may be liable for substantial compensation. They may try to avoid paying this substantial sum by:
- Claiming that your loved one was engaged in horseplay, which may void the workers’ compensation coverage
- Alleging intoxication, drug impairment, or some other condition that could void the insurance coverage
An insurer may delay the claims process and use other bad-faith tactics. Our firm will handle all interactions with the insurance company. We will pressure them to resolve your claim promptly and fairly.
Oversee the Administrative Aspects of Your Case
Our team will complete all paperwork, respond to insurance companies’ correspondence, deal with any other parties involved in your case, and handle every other detail for you.
Much of the work required to complete an insurance claim or lawsuit goes unseen. As a firm that has completed many cases like yours, know that your case will require work. Let us handle this great responsibility so you can focus on your well-being.
Negotiate Your Financial Recovery
We will face liable parties to negotiate for the recovery you deserve. Whether we’re dealing with insurance company representatives or another party, our team will stand firmly behind our calculation of your damages.
Take Your Case to Trial, If Necessary
If your case involves a lawsuit and a trial becomes necessary, Bader Scott Injury Lawyers will take your case to court. Trials are a major commitment, and we don’t take the process lightly. However, going to court may be the clearest way to fight for fair compensation, and we do not back down from the opportunity to complete a trial.
Athens Death Benefits Lawyer Near Me (404) 888-8888
Why Hire a Lawyer from Bader Scott Injury Lawyers for Your Wrongful Death Case in Athens?
Our clients trust us to seek fair death benefits because:
- We have an extensive record of case results, including recoveries for dependents of fatal workplace accidents.
- Our former clients speak highly of our team.
- Workplace accident cases are a primary practice area of Bader Scott Injury Lawyers.
- We put all of our manpower and financial resources into winning each case.
For a capable law firm that will make your case the priority, hire Bader Scott Injury Lawyers.
Call Bader Scott Injury Lawyers Today for a Free Consultation About Your Case in Athens
We may face deadlines for filing your claim or lawsuit, so do not wait to contact our team. Your consultation is free and comes with no obligations to hire our firm.
Call Bader Scott Injury Lawyers today for your free consultation.
Call or text (404) 888-8888 or complete a Free Case Evaluation form