When independent contractors suffer on-the-job injuries, many have concerns as to how they will continue providing for themselves and their families while healing. However, if you purchased workers’ compensation insurance coverage, you may be eligible for specific types of benefits.
But when your injuries are severe and making it difficult for you to hold the insurance company accountable, an Athens independent contractors lawyer at Bader Scott Injury Lawyers may be able to help you make the insurer pay.
Workers’ Compensation Benefits for Independent Contractors in Athens
Independent contractors are not employed by anyone. As such, they are not entitled to workers’ compensation benefits through those they do contract work with. However, that does not mean as an independent contractor you are not entitled to workers’ compensation benefits if you purchased your own workers’ comp insurance coverage.
If your work as an independent contractor allows you to purchase workers’ compensation insurance coverage, when you are involved in a work-related accident, you may be able to file a claim with your insurance company to recover certain types of benefits. The benefits that you may be eligible for in a workers’ compensation claim for independent contractors include:
- Medical benefits – Medical payments require the insurance company to cover all of the medical expenses related to your work-related injuries, both now and in the future.
- Disability benefits – Disability benefits account for a portion of your lost income, generally at a rate of two-thirds of your average weekly wages.
- Vocational rehabilitation benefits – Vocational rehabilitation benefits cover the costs of job training or going back to school if your injuries are so severe you will no longer be able to continue in your current line of work.
- Death benefits – Death benefits may be available to an independent contractor’s surviving family members. Insurance should cover the decedent’s funeral and burial costs, medical expenses, and a portion of the decedent’s lost income.
For a free legal consultation with a independent contractors lawyer serving Athens, call (404) 888-8888
Recoverable Damages for Independent Contractors in Third-Party Liability Lawsuits
Independent contractors may not always purchase workers’ compensation insurance coverage. Those who don’t may not be eligible for workers’ compensation benefits, but they may qualify for compensation via an insurance plan or third-party liability lawsuit, depending on how the injuries occurred.
For instance, if you were involved in a work-related car accident as an independent contractor without workers’ comp insurance protection, you may still be able to recover certain types and amounts of damages by filing a claim with the liable driver’s auto insurance provider.
You might also have the opportunity to file a civil lawsuit against those responsible for causing your injuries. Your lawyer will need to thoroughly investigate how your injuries occurred to determine whether you have the option of filing a lawsuit for your injuries as an independent contractor.
Athens Independent Contractors Lawyer Near Me (404) 888-8888
Why Go With Bader Scott Injury Lawyers?
Choosing the right independent contractors attorney after an accident can be challenging. However, when you go with Bader Scott Injury Lawyers, you can get the legal advice and support you need when you need it most. Here are some of the responsibilities we will handle after taking on your case:
- We will figure out what legal options are available to you.
- We will open an investigation to determine how your injuries occurred and who is responsible.
- We will file claims with your workers’ comp insurance provider, where applicable.
- We will file insurance claims and civil lawsuits against the liable party.
- We will obtain the powerful supporting evidence. We need to prove negligence and liability in your case.
- We will provide the insurance company with the evidence they need to process your claim and get your claim for workers’ comp approved.
- We will negotiate with insurance companies for a reasonable settlement and prepare to file formal appeals if they deny you the benefits that are rightfully yours.
- We will bring your independent contractor injury case to court, if necessary.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
How Much Does It Cost to Hire an Independent Contractors Attorney in Athens?
Hiring a lawyer does not need to be intimidating. When you go with Bader Scott Injury Lawyers for your independent contractor attorney in Athens, you do not need to pay any upfront costs. You never have to pay a penny in attorney’s fees, if we do not win your case.
A portion of your settlement will be used to cover your attorney’s fees. This means if we do not win, we do not get paid. There is virtually no risk in reaching out to our team to find out how we can help you get back on your feet financially after suffering a work-related injury as an independent contractor.
Statute of Limitations for Independent Contractor Claims
As an independent contractor, there are multiple opportunities for financial relief when you have been involved in a work-related accident. However, your claim must be filed before the deadline or you risk being barred from recovering the compensation you would otherwise be entitled to.
For instance, if you are seeking workers’ compensation benefits, the insurance company may require you to file your claim within 30 days. If your claim is not filed before the deadline, the insurer can deny your claim.
Similarly, Georgia has a two-year statute of limitations in place for personal injury lawsuits, according to O.C.G.A. § 9-3-33. If you are filing a third-party liability claim for your independent contractor injuries, the two-year statute of limitations will apply. If your claim has not been filed before time runs out, the court system will deny you the chance to have your case heard at trial.
Contact an Independent Contractors Attorney in Athens for Help Today
Independent contractors may have the opportunity to file third-party liability claims, or a claim for workers’ compensation benefits if you purchased workers’ comp coverage. While you are healing from your injuries, allow our Athens independent contractors attorneys at Bader Scott Injury Lawyers to help.
Our firm can handle the claims process and any appeals that may follow, so you can access the compensation and benefits that are rightfully yours. Get started on your case as soon as today. You can reach us by phone or through our convenient contact form to get started on your workers’ comp and civil claims today.