According to the U.S. Federal Highway Administration (FHWA), intersection accidents caused over 10,000 fatalities in 2018. Sadly, many of these accidents are caused by negligence. In fact, nearly 850 people were killed that year after another driver ran a red light.
Thankfully, if you have suffered losses after a red light accident and you believe another driver was responsible, you may be entitled to compensation for your pain and suffering and more. These recoverable damages can be used to address any financial, physical, and mental hardships you have endured after your accident.
Here at Bader Scott Injury lawyers, we proudly represent car accident victims all over the state of Georgia. If you retain a Johns Creek red light accident lawyer at our law firm, our attorneys can be there to help fight to protect your right to compensation.
While no red light accident attorney can guarantee that your case will result in compensation, our attorneys want to help take the pressure off you during this stressful time. With our legal team in your corner, we hope you can find time to focus on your recovery while we work on the rest.
To learn more about our legal services, contact a team member today at (404) 888-8888 to receive your free consultation.
Common Causes of Accidents at Red Lights
Most red light accidents are caused by simple driver errors, such as distraction, fatigue, or intoxication.
Other common causes of accidents occurring at red lights include:
- Mechanical failures, such as brake issues or broken headlights
- Texting and driving
- Failure to properly secure cargo or driving with an oversized load
- Following too closely
- Trying to make it through the light while it turns red
- Failure to yield the right of way
- Driving under the influence of prescription drugs or over-the-counter medications
- Long hours on the road or falling asleep behind the wheel
- Speeding or driving too fast for weather conditions
- Making illegal lane changes or other forms of aggressive driving
- Hitting the gas pedal instead of the brake
- And more
Proving these acts of negligence can be tricky, especially if you are still recovering from your personal injuries. Fortunately, if you retain a lawyer for your red light crash, you can focus on the more important things while your attorney investigates your accident and works to prove liability.
For a free legal consultation with a red light accidents lawyer serving Johns Creek, call (404) 888-8888
Recoverable Damages for Red Light Accident Victims
Recoverable damages are generally divided into three categories: economic damages, non-economic damages, and punitive damages. These forms of compensation are designed to address all your unique losses.
Recoverable damages can include, but may not be limited to:
- Financial losses: Encompassing lost wages, diminished earning capacity, loss of employment, and medical expenses.
- Physical injuries: Including the physical trauma you endured during your recovery and any ongoing disabilities you may be facing.
- Damaged property: Such as vehicle repairs, damaged electronics, and lost valuables.
- Mental anguish: Covering your physiological trauma, such as damaged relationships with loved ones, mental illnesses, and damaged hopes and dreams.
- Punitive damages: These can only be awarded by the judge or jury in cases of extreme negligence.
Johns Creek Red Light Accident Lawyer Near Me (404) 888-8888
Limits on Recoverable Damages in Georgia
Fortunately, there are no limits on the amount of economic and non-economic damages you can receive in the state of Georgia. However, even if you retain a Johns Creek red light accident lawyer, there are strict limitations on punitive damages.
According to the Official Code of Georgia Annotated §51-12-5.1, you may only be eligible for punitive damages if you can prove that the offender displayed one of the following during your accident:
- Willful misconduct
- A blatant disregard for the safety of others
Further, there is a general $250,000 limit on punitive damages in Georgia, regardless of the circumstances surrounding your accident. Even if you are not awarded the maximum amount, 75% of your settlement must be paid into the state treasury.
We understand the legal process can be confusing. That is why we are here to help offer guidance at every turn. Once our attorneys gather more information about your unique situation, we can advise you on your legal options moving forward.
To get started with your free consultation today, call Bader Scott Injury Lawyers at (404) 888-8888.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Common Injuries Victims Suffer in Red Light Crashes
Accidents at red lights often result in serious, life-altering injuries. These personal injuries can occur during the initial impact, or they can happen after your vehicle is pushed into harm’s way.
Common red light accident injuries include:
- Broken ribs, arms, legs, or clavicles
- Injuries to the face from deployed airbags or flying debris
- Tissue damage
- Injuries to the neck or spinal cord, sometimes causing paralysis
- Traumatic brain injuries (TBI)
- Wrongful death
- And more
Click to contact our Johns Creek Car Accident Lawyers today
Get Help Today from the Office of a Red Light Accident Attorney in Johns Creek
When you retain a Johns Creek red light accident lawyer, our legal team can be there to represent your case from start to finish. Over the years, our attorneys have represented countless personal injury victims in Johns Creek and beyond. Along the way, we have become familiar with the many different facets of personal injury law.
Our services include:
- General legal guidance about Georgia law
- Settlement negotiations
- Communicating with other parties
- Representing your case at trial
- Investigating the cause of your accident and working to prove liability
- Examining insurance policies
- Assigning a value to your case
- And more
Before you move forward with your case, you should keep in mind that OCGA §9-3-33 dictates a two-year statute of limitations on personal injury claims, beginning on the day your injuries first occurred. If you do not file a claim in time, you may be unable to recover compensation.
To get started with your free consultation today, contact a Bader Scott Injury Lawyers representative at (404) 888-8888. You do not have to go through this alone.
Call or text (404) 888-8888 or complete a Free Case Evaluation form