According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), nearly 5,000 motorcyclists were killed in crashes in 2018. Many of these accidents were caused by the negligence of another driver and could have been avoided.
If you were hurt in a motorcycle accident caused by another party’s negligence, you may be able to hold them liable for your injuries. A Savannah motorcycle accident lawyer from Bader Scott Injury Lawyers can help you investigate your accident and pursue compensation when we represent you.
The team at Bader Scott Injury Lawyers understands how overwhelming it can be to think about taking legal action, especially if you are still healing from your injuries. We are a full-service law firm that can manage all tasks in your settlement negotiations or personal injury lawsuit when we represent you. Our team can be by your side every step of the way.
For a free, no-risk review of your case with a member of our team, contact Bader Scott Injury Lawyers today at (404) 888-8888.
Common Causes of Motorcycle Accidents
There are numerous circumstances that can lead to a tragic motorcycle accident. Some of the most common include:
A negligent driver can turn left and strike an oncoming motorcyclist when the driver fails to yield. Drivers can also strike a motorcyclist when shifting lanes without checking their blind spots.
Alcohol or Drugs
It does not take much alcohol to impact a driver’s ability to operate a vehicle safely. A drunk or intoxicated driver could easily strike a motorcyclist or force one into an evasive maneuver that results in a crash.
Traffic Law Violation
Any time a driver violates a traffic law, they may be liable for the damages they cause in the resulting accident with a motorcyclist. This may include:
- Running a red light or stop sign
- Illegal lane change
- Failure to yield
- Not using lights at night
- Not adjusting to inclement weather
If you believe another party’s negligence caused your accident, contact Bader Scott Injury Lawyers at (404) 888-8888. A representative of our firm is standing by to provide you with a free consultation on your case.
For a free legal consultation with a motorcycle accidents lawyer serving Savannah, call (404) 888-8888
Possible Motorcycle Accident Injuries
Motorcycle riders may be vulnerable to a wide range of injuries in an accident. These may include:
- Lower-extremity injuries: including broken leg bones, torn ligaments, dislocations, road rash, and more.
- Upper-extremity injuries: these may include injuries to the shoulder girdle, broken ribs, and fractured forearms.
- Head injuries: traumatic brain injuries (TBIs) and other head injuries are common motorcycle accident injuries, even for riders who are wearing a helmet. These injuries can vary in seriousness, but in severe cases, the victim can experience changes in personality and cognitive functioning.
We recommend motorcycle accident victims receive medical treatment as soon as possible after their accident, no matter how severe your injuries are. A diagnosis and medical record of your injuries may be useful evidence for pursuing compensation.
Savannah Motorcycle Accident Lawyer Near Me (404) 888-8888
Georgia Laws That Could Impact Your Claim
Two laws that could potentially impact your motorcycle claim in Savannah are the Georgia statute of limitations and the state’s modified comparative fault system.
Statute of Limitations
According to O.C.G.A § 9-3-33, Georgia has a general statute of limitations of two years for personal injury cases. This means that if you fail to file your claim within two years of the date of your accident, you may be barred from any recovery via a lawsuit.
Modified Comparative Negligence
Georgia follows a modified comparative negligence system and has a fault threshold of 50%. In this system, you can still recover damages if you are partially at fault for the accident. However, the amount of compensation you can recover may be reduced by the degree to which you were at fault.
For example, if you are deemed 20% responsible for the accident and your damages are valued at $200,000, your payout may be reduced by 20% to $160,000. If you are over 50% responsible for the accident, you may be barred from any amount of recovery.
A Savannah motorcycle accident lawyer from Bader Scott Injury Lawyers may be able to defend you against any underhanded tactics that the defendant’s lawyer may use to try to assert that you were more responsible for the accident than you really are.
Recoverable Damages After a Motorcycle Accident
While we cannot estimate your compensation without first reviewing your case, we can share some possible types of recoverable damages in motorcycle accident cases. These may include:
- Ambulance costs and hospitalization
- Assistive devices like wheelchairs and walkers
- Surgical treatments
- Physical and occupational therapy
- Doctor’s examinations
- Pain and suffering
- Loss of wages
- Reduced future earning ability
- Property damage
- And more
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Bader Scott Injury Lawyers Are Here for You
If your motorcycle accident was caused by a negligent motorist, you may be able to hold them responsible for your accident. A Savannah motorcycle accident lawyer from Bader Scott Injury Lawyers can help you pursue compensation for your injuries when we work together on your case.
Some specific ways we can help may include:
- Investigating your case: we can gather police reports, eyewitness statements, accident reconstruction expert testimony, and video surveillance if it is available.
- Calculating the value of your claim: we can review your bills, receipts, employment records, and medical records to determine the total value of your losses, including the cost of your pain and suffering.
- Negotiating with the insurance company: we can negotiate with the insurance company to pursue a fair settlement. If they are unwilling to negotiate in good faith, we can take your case to trial.
For a free consultation with a member of our team, call Bader Scott Injury Lawyers at (404) 888-8888.