Sharing the road with large trucks on Cobb Parkway, South Cobb Drive, Atlanta Road, or elsewhere in Smyrna, can be scary…and with good reason! These vehicles are large and heavy, which makes it difficult for them to brake quickly. The drivers are high up, and visibility is often limited. And let’s not forget, their impressive size means they can do considerable damage if they are in a wreck.
For these reasons, drivers will want to do all they can to avoid a collision with a large commercial truck. Still, if you become involved in one, you will want a reliable Smyrna truck accident lawyer on your side. If you or a loved one suffered injuries in a commercial vehicle collision Bader Scott Injury Lawyers can help you seek compensation.
Our Smyrna truck accident lawyers can pursue financial awards for your medical care, pain and suffering, and more. Read on to find out about the causes of truck accidents and what to do if you sustained injuries.
Common Causes of Truck Accidents in Georgia
Many things can cause a truck accident on Georgia freeways and highways. Here are some of the most common.
- Tire blowouts: If tires are not well manufactured or maintained, a tire blowout can occur. Tire blowouts can be especially dangerous in truck accidents because trucks are such heavy vehicles. Drivers may struggle to control their vehicle after a blowout occurs and may end up veering across the road, causing considerable damage.
- Brake malfunctions: Brake malfunctions are scary when they occur on any vehicle, but they are even more terrifying when they occur on a heavy truck. What’s even more frightening is that a truck could be carrying cargo that can spill all over the road when brakes malfunction. This can cause many cars to become involved in the wreck.
- Right-hand turns: Trucks need a wide berth when making a right-hand turn. If they do not give themselves enough room, they may end up hitting another vehicle. In most cases, this type of accident will be the fault of the truck driver.
- Falling loads: Many trucks carry cargo. If the shipment is not well secured, it can fall out and scatter across the road. Many cars can become involved in this type of accident.
- Jackknife: Tractor-trailers are often involved in accidents. These commonly occur when the driver brakes too hard and the trailer swings around to hit the cab of the truck. These accidents are hazardous as they can impact several lanes of the highway.
- Rollovers: When a truck turns at high speeds, the entire vehicle can roll over. These types of accidents are more likely to occur in icy or wet conditions.
- Sideswipes: Truck drivers have considerable blind spots, and this makes it difficult for them to see the cars that are next to them. If they attempt to move into a lane and don’t see the car next to them, it can result in a sideswipe accident. Sideswipes can also occur when a truck and another car try to cram into an area that does not have ample space for both vehicles.
Who Is Financially Liable for Your Truck Accident in Smyrna?
Liability for your damages depends on the cause of your accident. However, truck collision cases can be complex because more than one party may bear responsibility. We can take action against all those whose negligent actions led to your injury, including:
- The truck driver
- The trucking company
- The entity responsible for truck maintenance/the truck owner
- The manufacturer of defective brakes, tires, or other auto parts
- The entity responsible for the truck’s cargo
- A third-party motorist
For a free legal consultation with a truck accidents lawyer serving Smyrna, call (404) 888-8888
What Should I Do If I Was In a Truck Accident in Smyrna?
If you were in a truck accident, it is crucial to gather as much evidence as possible. Take pictures of the accident from all angles. Get the contact information for any witnesses. Talk to the police so they can file a report.
It’s also vital that you seek medical attention. Even if you don’t think you were severely injured, your injuries may get worse over time. If you put off getting medical care, at-fault parties may try to say your injuries weren’t caused by your accident.
It’s also essential to find the right lawyer. A good lawyer will help you build a strong case and make sure you get the compensation you deserve. A Smyrna truck accident lawyer with Bader Scott Injury Lawyers can stand by your side. We will:
- Collect case evidence so that you can focus your time and energy on your recovery
- File your insurance claims or lawsuits
- Manage and adhere to deadlines
- Handle phone calls and emails with the insurance company or opposing attorneys
- Represent you during negotiations and fight for the most advantageous settlement possible
- Provide you with frequent case updates
Do not wait too long to seek compensation. Most truck accident cases begin with an insurance claim against the at-fault party or parties. However, we may need to take legal action to recover the awards you deserve.
If your case goes to civil court, you have two years to sue for personal injury or the wrongful death of a loved one, according to O.C.G.A. § 9-3-33. The clock on the statute of limitations starts at the time of injury or death.
Smyrna Truck Accident Lawyer Near Me (404) 888-8888
Our Attorneys Can Seek Awards for Your Truck Accident Damages
If your truck accident was not your fault, the cost of your medical treatment, lost wages, and other damages should not come out of your pocket. You deserve financial compensation to pay for your damages without jeopardizing your family’s finances. Our Smyrna truck accident attorneys will identify and pursue compensation for:
- Doctor and hospital bills
- Physical and occupational therapy
- Medications and medical equipment
- Long-term care services
- Lost income, benefits, and earnings (including loss of future earning potential if you have a disabling injury that prevents you from returning to work)
- Vehicle repairs or replacement
- Physical pain and suffering
- Mental anguish
- Loss of enjoyment of life
Georgia Wrongful Death Compensation
According to the Georgia Governor’s Office of Highway Safety, in 2020, there were more than 230 fatal accidents statewide involving large trucks. If your loved one died because of someone else’s negligent, reckless, or wrongful actions, you can pursue a wrongful death case.
According to O.C.G.A. § 51-4-2, the deceased’s spouse, child, or parents (in that order) can seek awards on their behalf and on behalf of the deceased’s estate. Compensation may include:
- The deceased’s lost wages and services, including income the deceased would have earned had they lived
- The loss of the deceased’s care, counsel, advice, and companionship
- The deceased’s accident-related medical expenses
- Funeral and burial costs
- Any other damages resulting from your family member’s injury or death
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Finding the Right Smyrna Truck Accident Lawyer
If you are looking for a truck accident lawyer in Smyrna, Bader Scott Injury Lawyers has a legal team dedicated to serving clients with personal injuries. Their years of experience have allowed them to become experts in their field. They have a reputation for their winning outcomes, their aggressive representation, and their caring approach.
A truck accident is a scary experience that can have long-lasting effects on your mental and physical health. Don’t let at-fault drivers get away with it. The Bader Scott team will see to it that justice is served. Call our offices today for a free consultation.
Call or text (404) 888-8888 or complete a Free Case Evaluation form