If you suffered injuries after a negligent truck accident, you may be entitled to compensation. A Carrollton truck accident lawyer at Bader Scott Injury Lawyers can be there to guide your case through our legal system, fighting for your rights every step of the way.
You do not have to face this legal process alone. Our attorneys can be there to investigate your case, gather evidence, and represent your case in court. In doing so, we hope you can find justice and peace of mind after the challenges of your accident.
For more information about our legal services for truck accident victims in Carrollton, contact a Bader Scott Injury Lawyers representative today at (404) 888-8888 to receive your free consultation.
Recoverable Losses for Carrollton Truck Accident Victims
In accordance with the Official Code of Georgia Annotated (OCGA) §51-12-33 you can receive compensation for your truck accident as long as you were less than 50% liable. However, if you were somewhat liable, your compensation may be reduced proportionately based on your percentage of fault.
For example, if you were awarded $50,000 and you were determined to be 25% at fault for the accident, your compensation would be reduced accordingly.
In the state of Georgia, recoverable losses fall into three categories: non-economic, economic, and punitive damages. These forms of compensation are meant to address the seriousness of your accident and help you recover from the losses you suffered.
Specific examples of recoverable losses include:
- Cost of medical treatments and rehabilitation programs
- Property damage
- Pain from your injuries, recovery, and long-term ailments
- Mental anguish, which includes loss of enjoyment of life, post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), damaged relationships with your family, and more
- Assistance with disabilities, providing accommodations to improve your quality of life
- Loss of income and benefits
- Diminished earning capacity
As for punitive damages, these serve as a rarer form of punishment. Unfortunately, these damages are seldom awarded because the court reserves them to punish exceptionally dangerous and careless offenders.
If you feel like your accident was caused by a particularly heinous act of negligence, you will not be eligible for punitive damages unless you can present compelling evidence that the offender displayed willful misconduct, malice, wantonness, or another form of extreme wrongdoing.
For a free legal consultation with a truck accidents lawyer serving Carrollton, call (404) 888-8888
Proving Liability in Carrollton Truck Accidents
Many large trucks are owned by large businesses who may be found liable in the event of an accident with one of their drivers. Demonstrating liability requires presenting evidence that the offending driver was primarily at fault for the accident.
At Bader Scott Injury Lawyers, we can help you with this process. We have numerous methods for analyzing and presenting evidence to determine liability.
These methods include:
- Obtaining information about the truck driver’s employment, which may show their route on the day of the accident, whether they were on the clock, their discipline record, and more
- Reviewing police reports taken from the accident scene
- Examining photo or video evidence
- Documenting eyewitness testimony
- Analyzing physical evidence
- Calling upon outside experts, including accident reconstruction experts, manufacturers, medical professionals, and more
- Pulling cell phone records from the time of the accident
A Carrollton truck accident lawyer can be there to handle your investigation and proceedings so you can focus on your ongoing recovery.
To learn more about proving liability in an accident, contact a Bader Scott Injury Lawyers team member today at (404) 888-8888 to get started with your free consultation.
Carrollton Truck Accident Lawyer Near Me (404) 888-8888
Common Causes of Truck Accidents in Carrollton
Truck accidents may be caused by driver error, weather conditions, mechanical failure, and dangerous roadways. However, research from the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) shows that drivers were responsible for 87% of serious truck accidents.
This study went on to list the most common reasons for truck accidents, which include:
- Driving while distracted
- Inexperienced drivers on unfamiliar roads
- Poor judgment and decision making
- Intoxicated driving
- Failing to check mirrors before making roadway maneuvers
- Brake malfunctions
- Driving too fast for weather or roadway conditions
- Falling asleep at the wheel or driving while fatigued
Carrollton Truck Accident Lawyers Fighting for Your Rights
Our attorneys at Bader Scott Injury Lawyers understand the serious consequences of accidents with truck drivers. You may be facing serious injuries, extensive medical costs, or extended recovery times to heal your injuries. You may even be facing lost wages from time missed at work. Our attorneys understand the complexities and financial challenges that can result after an accident, and we can take care of the legal details of your case so that you don’t have to.
With a Carrollton truck accident lawyer in your corner, our firm can provide numerous legal services to help you seek justice. Our services include:
- Assisting with settlement negotiations
- Representing your case at trial
- Helping determine liability
- Calculating the monetary value of your losses
- Offering legal counsel
- Dealing with insurance providers and examining policies
- Communicating with parties on your behalf
Part of our legal services involves keeping you updated on any upcoming deadlines that may affect your case. As such, keep in mind that OCGA §9-3-33 dictates a two-year statute of limitations on personal injury claims in Georgia, beginning on the day of your accident. If you do not take legal action in time, your case may be dismissed.
To learn more about how we can help with your case, contact a Bader Scott Injury Lawyers representative today at (404) 888-8888 for your free consultation.