People who are injured in hit and run accidents often experience the double shock of a sudden collision and then watching the negligent driver flee the scene.
If you were hurt in a hit and run in South Fulton, you may be concerned about who is going to cover the costs of the accident. A South Fulton hit and run accident lawyer from Bader Scott Injury Lawyers may be able to investigate your accident and pursue compensation through your health and auto insurance policies.
Bader Scott Injury Lawyers is comfortable going head-to-head with big insurance companies in order to pursue compensation for our clients. For a free, no-risk case evaluation with a member of our team, contact Bader Scott Injury Lawyers today at (404) 888-8888.
We may be able to serve you on a contingency-fee basis with no up-front payments required.
Why People Flee the Scene of an Accident
There are many reasons why a driver may choose to flee the scene of an accident, even though the penalties for leaving the scene of the accident are severe, per O.C.G.A. § 40-6-270.
Some common reasons for fleeing the scene are:
- Drunk driving: if a driver has been drinking and is over the legal limit, they may flee the scene to avoid getting charged with a DUI.
- Possession of drugs or illegal firearms: if a driver has any illegal substances or weapons in the vehicle, they may leave the scene of a crash to prevent law enforcement from finding them.
- Panic: sometimes, the at-fault driver may panic and leave the scene of the accident out of fear.
- No license: if a driver is operating the vehicle without a valid driver’s license, they may flee the scene to avoid getting caught.
- Committed another crime: if a driver committed another crime and is afraid of getting charged with that crime or wants to avoid the police, they may run from the scene of the accident.
Regardless of why someone may choose to leave the scene of the crime, Georgia law clearly states that anyone involved in an accident should immediately stop at the scene of the accident or close by to give their name and registration number and offer assistance.
For a free legal consultation with a hit and run accidents lawyer serving South Fulton, call (404) 888-8888
Where to Go for Insurance Coverage After a Hit and Run
Because of the nature of hit and run accidents, you may or may not ever be able to use the other driver’s insurance to cover your losses. If you are able to locate the responsible driver, you can file an insurance claim or personal injury lawsuit against them.
However, even if you do not locate the responsible driver, you may still have options to recover compensation. Per O.C.G.A. § 33-7-11, insurance companies in Georgia are required to include uninsured motorist (UM) coverage in every insurance policy. This type of insurance covers hit and runs accidents as well. In many cases, you are automatically enrolled in UM coverage unless you write a letter opting out.
If you have UM coverage, it may be set at the Georgia liability coverage minimums of $25,000 per person and $50,000 per accident in bodily coverage, and $25,000 per accident in property damage.
A South Fulton hit and run accident lawyer from Bader Scott Injury Lawyers may be able to investigate your case to see if the responsible driver can be identified with the help of police or by security or traffic camera footage. If not, we can help you file a UM claim with your own insurance company or file a lawsuit against them if they refuse to compensate you fairly based on your UM coverage.
To learn more about your options in a free consultation on your case with a member of our team, call Bader Scott Injury Lawyers today at (404) 888-8888.
South Fulton Hit And Run Accident Lawyer Near Me (404) 888-8888
Recoverable Damages After a Hit and Run Accident
The types of damages you may be able to recover after a hit and run accident depends on the details of your case, such as the severity of your injuries and whether you suffered property damage as a result of the hit and run. Some common types of recoverable damages include:
- Medical treatment
- Estimated future costs of medical care
- Lost wages
- Future wages if your earning potential is diminished
- Property damage
- Pain and suffering
- And more
If your loved one did not survive a hit and run accident, a different set of damages may be available to you in a wrongful death lawsuit. To learn more about this type of legal action, call Bader Scott Injury Lawyers today.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
How a South Fulton Hit and Run Accident Lawyer Can Help
All car accidents are traumatic. However, the uncertainty about your financial recovery and the sense of injustice after a hit and run can make these accidents particularly upsetting.
Bader Scott Injury Lawyers understands the difficulties you may be experiencing after such an accident. A South Fulton hit and run accident lawyer from our firm can give you time and space from the legal proceedings to focus on your recovery when we represent you. Our services to you may include:
- Gathering evidence like police reports and eyewitness statements
- Calculating the full value of your case and talking to medical professionals who can offer expert opinions on the impact your injuries will have on your future
- Communicating with all parties on your behalf
- Negotiating with the insurance company on your behalf
- Taking your case to trial, if necessary
Get Started by Calling Us Today
Bader Scott Injury Lawyers offers a free, no-obligation consultation to South Fulton car accident victims. Call us today at (404) 888-8888. to speak with a member of our team about your case and your options.
A South Fulton hit and run accident lawyer from our firm may be able to work for you on a contingency-fee basis. In this type of arrangement, you do not need to pay out attorney fees unless and until you recover compensation in a settlement offer or court award.