Every year, tens of thousands of people are killed in vehicle accidents, on construction sites, in medical malpractice cases, and at work. Poisoning, suffocation, product hazards, and a lack of mandatory safety measures can all cause or contribute to an accidental death.
If your loved one was killed in an accident, you may have grounds for a wrongful death claim. Please contact the Bader Scott Injury Lawyers team to speak with a South Fulton wrongful death lawyer. You can reach our office at (404) 888-8888.
How Wrongful Death Accidents Occur
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), 169,936 people were killed in the United States as a result of preventable and unintentional accidents in 2017. Accidents are the third-leading cause of death in America, behind heart disease and cancer.
A wrongful death can occur in many ways. Consider the following examples:
- The owner or operator of a property does not remove or address hazards such as exposed electrical wires, open holes, walkway clutter, sidewalk damage, uneven surfaces, or slippery surfaces, and someone slips, falls, or is somehow fatally injured as a result.
- A truck driver drives recklessly, or while drowsy, intoxicated, or distracted, and causes a fatal crash.
- A maintenance team does not properly inspect a truck and the truck breaks down while on the road, causing an accident.
- A loading team does not properly secure cargo to the bed of a truck, and it comes loose while the truck is on the road.
- Roads that are damaged, uneven, or slippery roads or have poor signage or malfunctioning traffic control devices make driving unsafe.
- A construction worksite does not securely lock out electrical energy, provide protective gear for handling power tools, or secure ladders, scaffolding, or construction materials, and a worker is killed in an accident.
- A nursing home does not have enough properly trained staff to handle residents of the home, and a resident chokes, develops an infection, dehydrates, or slips and fatally falls as a result of neglect.
- A doctor makes a fatal error while performing a medical procedure, fails to diagnose a serious illness, or incorrectly administers drugs to a patient, leading to the patient’s death.
- A product manufacturer does not perform adequate product safety tests, and a product malfunction leads to an accidental death.
These examples are all too common, and the negligence and oversights that cause them are highly common as well. For example, the Occupational Safety and Health Administration issues federally mandated security processes and standards that must be met in different settings.
However, people still suffer harm from a failure to meet these standards. Others are killed in vehicle crashes, in workplaces, in nursing homes, by slipping and falling, and by the reckless neglect, actions, or inaction of others.
If someone is killed by such neglect or recklessness, surviving family members of the deceased may be able to file a wrongful death claim for damages. Our South Fulton wrongful death lawyer may be able to guide you through this process after a free review of your case. Call today at (404) 888-8888 to get started.
For a free legal consultation with a wrongful death lawyer serving South Fulton, call (404) 888-8888
Wrongful Death Liability
For any civil liability case, you must prove that one party owed the victim a duty of care, and that his or her breach of the duty of care resulted in the victim’s injuries or death. Using this benchmark, parties liable for a wrongful death accident may include:
- The owner or operator of a property or business—for slip and fall and premises liability cases.
- A vehicle driver or the owner or operator of a fleet of commercial trucks—for trucking accidents.
- A nursing home, its staff, or its administrator—for nursing home wrongful death cases.
- A doctor, nurse, care provider, or medical institution—for medical malpractice cases.
- A construction company, machine operator, or the owner of a construction site—for construction-related accidents.
- Primary, secondary, or lower-level product vendors, or a product designer, manufacturer, or tester—for product liability accidents.
- A government office, local municipality, or road repair crew—for damaged road accidents.
Other parties beyond those mentioned above can also be at fault for an accident. It all depends on whether or not you can establish a link between the negligent or reckless acts of the party in question, and the accident and injuries suffered by a victim.
For example, someone who sells or serves alcohol to a driver may be implicated in a drunk driving accident. Similarly, a trucking company that does not properly screen or train drivers may shoulder some of the liability for any accidents that occur as a result.
South Fulton Wrongful Death Lawyer Near Me (404) 888-8888
How We Can Help
If one of your loved ones was killed in an accident, you will understandably have a lot to deal with. You may be wondering how the accident occurred, who was responsible for it, and how the dangers or events that caused the fatality went unnoticed or unaddressed. You will also likely wonder what will happen to you and your family, especially if you lost a breadwinner, a caretaker, or someone who provided you with support.
The South Fulton wrongful death lawyer with the Bader Scott Injury Lawyers team may be able to assist you. We can investigate your case and potentially help with:
- Identifying the at-fault parties responsible or liable for your damages and losses.
- Quantifying the value of your claim and calculating long-term losses.
- Gathering evidence in support of your claim, such as photos, video footage, police reports, eyewitness accounts of the accident, maintenance logs, driver records, and more.
- Helping you meet all mandated deadlines for submitting evidence and filing a claim.
- Negotiating a settlement on your behalf, if you and the parties involved wish to settle.
- Representing you in court if your case goes to trial.
Please do not hesitate to reach out to us today. Call (404) 888-8888 to speak with our team.