Traffic signals provide structure to drivers and help prevent avoidable accidents. However, some people blatantly disregard these signals or do the opposite of what was intended by the signal, such as speeding up when a yellow light is present. When drivers intentionally disobey traffic signals, they may cause motor vehicle accidents involving fatalities or serious injuries.
If you suffered injuries in an accident like this or a loved one was killed, the Atlanta failure to obey traffic signals accident lawyers from Bader Scott Injury Lawyers can discuss your legal options. Our team is standing by and is ready to help you pursue a claim that can provide you with fair compensation for the damages you have suffered. Call us today at 404.888.8888 to learn more.
Georgia Traffic Signals Laws
All drivers must obey traffic control devices, according to Official Code of Georgia Ann. (O.C.G.A.) § 40-6-20. Georgia law, O.C.G.A. § 40-6-21, sets out clear explanations of traffic signals as follows:
- Green light: a green light means that drivers can drive through or turn right or left unless there is a sign prohibiting the turn. Turning vehicles must yield the right-of-way of vehicles traveling through the intersection.
- Green arrow: drivers must cautiously enter the intersection and follow the direction of the arrow. Drivers must yield to pedestrians.
- Yellow light: drivers are alerted that the movement provided by the green light is terminating and that a red light is soon approaching.
- Flashing yellow arrow: drivers can proceed in the direction of the arrow, but they must be cautious and must yield the right-of-way of other vehicles.
- Red light: drivers must stop at the stop line, crosswalk, or nearest point to the intersection where they can see traffic without entering the intersection. Drivers can turn right unless there is a sign prohibiting this maneuver, but they must yield the right-of-way to other drivers. Drivers turning left from a one-way street to another one-way street may turn, but they must yield the right of way.
- Flashing red arrow: drivers may turn in the direction of the arrow after stopping, but they must yield the right-of-way.
Our Atlanta failure to obey traffic signals accident lawyers can investigate your claim and determine if the negligent driver disobeyed one of these rules and should be held legally responsible for the damages you sustained.
For a free legal consultation with a failure to obey traffic signals lawyer serving Atlanta, call (404) 888-8888
Examples of Failure to Obey Traffic Signals Accidents
Even though we expect all drivers to follow the rules above, sadly, many do not, which often results in serious accidents. Unsafe drivers who intentionally disobey traffic signals put other law-abiding motorists, pedestrians, and cyclists at risk.
Common examples of these types of accidents include:
- A distracted driver looks down at his phone before an intersection and runs through a stoplight, hitting another driver head-on.
- A drunk driver does not notice a traffic signal and crashes into another vehicle.
- A distracted driver does not notice that there is a traffic signal ahead and plows into the back of the vehicle in front of him or her.
- A hurried driver speeds through a red light and hits a vehicle that is lawfully turning.
- A driver who lives in a rural location thinks no one else is at a traffic signal, so she just disregards it.
- An aggressive driver intentionally ignores a series of traffic signals, eventually causing a pileup collision.
When someone else’s carelessness causes you to suffer, you have the right to pursue a legal claim against them. Our Atlanta failure to obey traffic signals accident lawyers can help you hold these types of drivers responsible for their negligent behavior. Call us today to learn how we can help.
Atlanta Failure to Obey Traffic Signals Lawyer Near Me (404) 888-8888
Dangers of Disobeying Traffic Signals
Before a city erects a traffic control device, there is usually research into the location and the amount of traffic it receives. If a traffic signal is present, this is because officials have determined the signal is necessary to protect the health and safety of the community. When motorists disobey these traffic signals, they place other motorists at an unreasonable risk of harm.
People who drive through red lights or disregard common right-of-way rules often cause serious head-on and T-bone collisions. These accidents often involve high rates of speed and result in serious injuries, including:
- Spinal cord injuries
- Traumatic head injuries
- Complex fractures
- Internal damages
- Concussions and whiplash
Additionally, the same traffic signals that instruct drivers also give direction to pedestrians and cyclists. Drivers who disobey traffic signals may wind up hitting a pedestrian or cyclist who was simply obeying the law. Accidents involving these individuals are often catastrophic due to their lack of protection against thousands of pounds of metal crashing into them.
How Our Lawyers Can Help
Bader Scott Injury Lawyers, (404) 888-8888, is dedicated to helping you receive the compensation you need in the face of medical costs, lost time from work, and mounting bills. Our lawyers will take the following appropriate actions to help you recover:
- Conduct a thorough investigation into the factors that contributed to the collision
- Review the accident report
- Interview eyewitnesses
- Review available evidence, including red light cameras, if applicable
- Identify all liable parties and their sources of insurance
- Collect additional evidence such as cell phone records as the case warrants
- Review your medical records to learn about the full extent of your injuries
- Review employment records and medical bills to establish a basis for your damages
- Communicate with the insurance company and provide the necessary information to file a claim
- Negotiate with the insurance company for a fair compensation
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Contact Bader Scott Injury Lawyers Today to Learn More
If you or a loved one suffered injuries because a driver disobeyed a traffic signal, our Atlanta failure to obey traffic signals lawyers can help. We negotiate with insurance companies regularly and can help determine the full value of your claim. We will fight for your fair recovery. If we do not obtain compensation on your behalf, you will not have to pay any attorney fees. Therefore, there is no risk to calling Bader Scott Injury Lawyers at (404) 888-8888 to learn more.