Distracted driving resulted in the death of 2,841 lives in 2018 alone, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA). A large percentage of these fatalities are due to texting while driving.
If you or a loved one suffered injuries in a distracted driving accident, an Atlanta texting while driving accident lawyer from Bader Scott Injury Lawyers can help. We can investigate your claim and determine whether texting played a role in your injuries. If so, we can seek maximum compensation for the damages you suffered. Call us today at (404) 888-8888 to learn more.
Dangers of Distracted Driving
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) groups distractions while driving into three different categories:
- Visual distractions, which take a driver’s eyes off the road
- Manual distractions, which take a driver’s hands off the wheel
- Cognitive distractions, which take a driver’s mind off the task of driving
Texting while driving is particularly dangerous because it involves all three types of distractions; the driver’s eyes are off the road, at least one hand is off the wheel, and the mind is not focused on driving. The National Safety Council (NSC) reports that texting while driving makes it up to 23 times more likely that the driver will be in a crash.
One study cited by the American Medical Association (AMA) shows that texting while driving causes drivers to spend 400% more time looking away from the road. Because distracted drivers are not anticipating a crash, these accidents often happen at a higher rate of speed because the driver did not have a chance to brake. This can result in more serious injuries for victims.
For a free legal consultation with a texting while driving lawyer serving Atlanta, call (404) 888-8888
Georgia Texting While Driving Law
Georgia lawmakers recognize the potential dangers of texting while driving and have outlawed this act. The hands-free law prohibits drivers from doing any of the following activities while driving:
- Having a phone in their hand or touching any part of their body while talking on the phone
- Writing, reading, or sending text messages, social media content, emails, or other data, except using voice-to-text
- Using their phone to record video
- Touching the phone to use or change music apps
- Watching videos on the road except for navigational videos
The penalties for violating this law are as follows:
- First conviction – $50 fine, 1 point assessed against the driver’s license
- Second conviction – $100 fine, 2 points assessed against the driver’s license
- Third or subsequent conviction – $150 fine, 3 points assessed against the driver’s license
Additionally, drivers who cause accidents because of their texting while driving can be held responsible for the damages victims suffer. If you were injured by a distracted driver, an Atlanta texting while driving accident lawyer from Bader Scott Injury Lawyers can help hold the negligent party responsible. Contact us to learn how we can help.
Atlanta Texting While Driving Lawyer Near Me (404) 888-8888
Evidence That Can Help Prove Texting While Driving
Evidence of texting while driving can be extremely helpful in proving that the other driver acted in a negligent manner. Our lawyers will take all reasonable steps to obtain evidence of texting while driving, such as:
- Cell phone records that show a message sent or received near the time of the accident.
- Traffic camera footage.
- Surveillance footage from nearby businesses.
- Eyewitness testimony.
- Property damage indicative of distracted driving, such as damage to the back of the victim’s vehicle and the front of the driver’s vehicle.
- The driver’s admissions of texting while driving.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
How Our Lawyers Can Help
Our lawyers can help you receive the compensation you deserve after suffering injuries in a texting while driving accident. We understand that these accidents often lead to life-changing injuries and financial distress caused by mounting medical bills and lost income. We will gather evidence about the full extent of your damages and provide an accurate evaluation regarding the value of your claim.
We also realize that your focus should be on your medical recovery, not the claims process, so we will handle all aspects of your claim, including:
- Gathering evidence of cell phone use at or near the time of the accident.
- Interviewing eyewitnesses.
- Talking to the insurance company on your behalf to give an account of how the accident happened, and the extent of your damages.
- Providing supplemental information to the insurance company to show the gravity of your injuries.
- Negotiating for fair compensation.
- Exploring all legal options if a fair settlement is not reached in a timely manner.
At Bader Scott Injury Lawyers, we have the resources necessary to help you go after your award or settlement. We will help you seek justice and hold the careless party accountable. We will also be available to answer any questions you have along the way so that you are always aware of your legal rights and options.
Click to contact our Atlanta Car Accident Lawyers today
Contact Us for a Free Consultation
If you or a loved one suffered injuries because of a driver’s careless decision to text and drive, Bader Scott Injury Lawyers is standing by ready to help. Our Atlanta texting while driving accident lawyers are familiar with the evidence necessary to establish negligence in car accident claims and will work diligently to obtain it. We charge no attorney fees unless we successfully recover compensation for your claim, so you have nothing to lose. Contact us at (404) 888-8888 for your free consultation.
Call or text (404) 888-8888 or complete a Free Case Evaluation form