Parking lots are areas where drivers must exercise a lot of caution, even though the other vehicles may not be traveling at high speeds. In a parking lot, drivers share the road with pedestrians, bicyclists, young children, stray shopping carts, and other vehicles.
When a driver in the parking lot is trying to back up with an obstructed view, this can lead to an accident that causes injuries. Likewise, driving through a parking lot while texting or trying to reach inside a grocery bag while moving could cause the driver to miss seeing an obstruction until it is too late.
If you suffered an injury because of a driver’s negligent act, an East Point parking lot accident lawyer can defend your right to receive damages for your injuries. At Bader Scott Injury Lawyers, we are ready to help. We take pride in defending the rights of victims of car accidents, including those that occur in parking lots. For a free review of your case, contact us at (404) 888-8888 today.
Why Parking Lot Accidents Happen
Parking lot accidents may occur at far slower speeds than collisions on highways and other roads throughout Georgia. However, these collisions can still cause harm, especially when they involve pedestrians.
There are a few different reasons that accidents occur so frequently in parking lots. These include:
- Distracted driving. Up to 66% of drivers admit to making smartphone calls while driving through a parking lot, according to the National Safety Council (NSC), which means they may miss seeing a hazard in the parking area.
- Distracted walking. A pedestrian looking at a smartphone or at a grocery list may walk directly in front of a car that has the right of way.
- Hurrying: Some drivers may speed through a parking lot because they are late for an appointment or are angry about being unable to find a parking space.
- Obstructed view: A driver backing out of a parking spot may not check his or her blind spot and cause an accident, failing to see a pedestrian walking behind the car.
- Missing traffic signs: A driver in a parking lot may be looking intently for an open parking spot and miss a one-way traffic sign or stop sign, resulting in a collision.
- Swerving to avoid hazards: A loose shopping cart could be rolling through the parking lot, or a car could stop in the traffic lane while waiting for a parking spot to open up, causing a driver to have to swerve at the last minute and potentially hit another car or a pedestrian.
Seeking a Fair Settlement for Your Parking Lot Collision Injuries
Injuries that commonly occur in parking lot collisions, both to those riding in a car and to pedestrians and bicyclists, include:
- Whiplash from a rear-end accident
- Broken bones
- Head injuries, including concussions and traumatic brain injuries
- Spinal cord damage
An East Point parking lot accident lawyer can study the facts in your case, determining a fair settlement amount to request that reflects your pain and suffering, as well as your long-term health outlook. Contact Bader Scott Injury Lawyers today for a free consultation at (404) 888-8888.
According to the Official Code of Georgia Annotated (OCGA) §9-3-33, victims in personal injury claims have up to two years to begin the process of filing a claim. We can help you keep your case on track, meeting all deadlines.
For a free legal consultation with a parking lot accidents lawyer serving East Point, call (404) 888-8888
Other Negligent Parties in Parking Lot Accidents
In a parking lot accident, it is not always readily apparent who is at fault for the collision. If a driver hits a pedestrian in a parking lot, it is likely that this driver is liable. However, there are some instances in which the owner of the parking lot could be found negligent, such as the following:
- Poor maintenance: The owner of a parking lot with numerous potholes or other kinds of damage could be found liable if you suffer an injury in an accident as a result.
- Incorrect or missing signage: A parking lot that is missing one-way signs could leave drivers unclear about the correct direction to travel, leading to a collision.
- Moved barriers: A cement barrier that marks parking lanes could have shifted into areas of the parking lot where traffic flows, causing an obstruction that can lead to a collision.
- Runaway cart machine: An employee running a powered shopping cart gathering machine may lose control, hitting a vehicle.
East Point Parking Lot Accident Lawyer Near Me (404) 888-8888
Bader Scott Injury Lawyers Work to Help You Receive the Settlement You Deserve
When the insurance company of the driver who hit and injured you sees that your case involves a parking lot accident, the adjuster may attempt to suggest that you somehow contributed to the accident. The insurer may say that parking lots are congested areas, and you may have made an error.
It is important that you do not admit fault in a case like this, even if an insurance company tries to pressure you to admit to a minor mistake in the case. Doing so could reduce the amount of compensation you receive or jeopardize your case altogether. Instead, consider contacting an East Point parking lot accident lawyer to help with your case.
Once you choose to hire us, Bader Scott Injury Lawyers will take over the communications and negotiations with the insurance company, so you do not take the blame for the collision or accept a settlement that is smaller than you deserve. We will work to collect the evidence you need to support your claim. Call our firm for a free case review at (404) 888-8888 as soon as possible.