Whether a driver is traveling the wrong way on a one-way road in a residential area or is going the wrong way on the interstate, the dangers of causing a head-on collision become extremely high.
According to the Federal Highway Administration (FHWA), wrong-way driving collisions do not happen as often as other types of crashes, but they cause up to 1% of fatal crashes per year in the U.S. This comes out to between 300 and 400 drivers annually.
If someone going the wrong way hit you head-on or sideswiped you, you have the right to request compensation for any injuries you suffer. Consider hiring a Norcross wrong-way accident lawyer to help with your case. The team at Bader Scott Injury Lawyers takes pride in defending the rights of victims in cases like this. For a free review of your case, call us at (678) 201-0953.
Reasons for Wrong-Way Accidents
There are precautions in place to help drivers avoid traveling the wrong way on the road. Street signs clearly mark the proper direction of traffic on one-way streets. Georgia statute O.C.G.A § 40-6-47 spells out how one-way roads should be marked. The entry ramps on interstate highways also provide signs that tell any driver when he or she is going the wrong way, including those that read “do not enter.”
Still, drivers sometimes make this error and greatly increase the risk of a highly dangerous head-on collision. Some of the reasons a driver may travel the wrong way on a one-way road or interstate include:
- Drunk driving: A driver who violates Georgia’s drunken driving laws may become so impaired that he or she does not recognize the signs indicating the proper direction of travel.
- Distracted driving: A driver can also miss warning signs about a one-way road when his or her attention is focused elsewhere, rather than on the road.
- Poor vision: A driver who is unable to read street signs because of poor vision may not realize he or she is traveling the wrong way.
- Road construction: Road work in the area may cause a driver to take a wrong turn because he or she does not interpret a warning sign properly, or the detour set up is confusing.
- Light traffic: A driver who is going the wrong way on a deserted road may not realize it until too late because there is very little other traffic on the road.
If any of these factors played a role in your case, resulting in another driver hitting you and causing an accident with injuries, you may be eligible for compensation.
A Norcross wrong-way accident lawyer can help you determine who to hold liable in your injury accident and build a case based on your evidence. At Bader Scott Injury Lawyers, we will study the facts in your collision, figuring out exactly how to move forward with your claim. Call us at (678) 201-0953 today for a free consultation.
For a free legal consultation with a wrong-way accidents lawyer serving Norcross, call (404) 888-8888
Seeking Compensation After a Wrong-Way Crash
After a wrong-way accident in which another driver caused you or a loved one injuries and vehicle damage, you can receive compensation for a number of items, including:
- Medical bills: Your medical costs for emergency care, surgery, hospitalization, or doctor appointments immediately after your accident should be recoverable.
- Future medical costs: Your doctor can put together a recovery plan for you, and your attorney can evaluate this plan to estimate your potential ongoing medical costs.
- Lost wages: You can receive compensation for any work that you may have missed while recovering from your injuries.
- Future lost wages: You have a right to seek damages for any wages you are unable to earn in the future when your injuries prevent you from working at the same job or for the same number of hours you did prior to the accident.
- Pain and suffering: You can also seek an amount of money that will compensate you for ongoing pain related to your injuries, as well as for emotional and mental suffering that you may have, such as nightmares or trauma related to reliving the accident.
You and your attorney can use your medical reports in your case to determine the value of your claim, along with any receipts regarding vehicle repair or replacement. If you lost a loved one in a wrong-way accident, you may also pursue wrongful death compensation.
Norcross Wrong-Way Accident Lawyer Near Me (404) 888-8888
We Will Work to Help You Receive the Fairest Possible Compensation
After you suffer an injury in a wrong-way car accident that is not your fault, the insurance company for the other driver may reach out to you, offering you a settlement. Remember, you do not have to accept this offer. You have the right to request a higher amount if you believe the insurer’s offer does not truly compensate you for your injuries and long-term outlook.
If you believe the insurance company is not treating you fairly, think about contacting a Norcross wrong way accident lawyer. At Bader Scott Injury Lawyers, we will negotiate with the insurer on your behalf, helping to figure out a fair amount for your settlement.
We take pride in defending the rights of accident victims to receive the awards they deserve, even when the insurance company treats them unfairly. If we need to take your case to court to secure your damages, we can do this on your behalf as well. For a free review of your case, contact us at (678) 201-0953 today. We are ready to begin working on your case as soon as you hire us.
Call or text (404) 888-8888 or complete a Free Case Evaluation form