Our offices are filled with experienced dog bite lawyers that have successfully handled numerous dog bite cases in the Carrollton area.
Why do dogs bite?
Children are the most common victims of dog bites that need medical attention. Dog bites are the 5th most common injury of children in the emergency room. Dogs and children are similar in height, so the attack is more severe and forceful. Dogs typically go for their victims’ faces, which are severe injuries that typically require surgery. Most dogs can seemingly attack out of nowhere. Some of the causes of these attacks are:
- Dominance aggression: This behavior is displayed by a dog that wants to be in charge. Dogs can assert their dominance when toys are taken away from them, they’ve moved, picked up, or even disturbed while sleeping.
- Fear Aggression: This attack can occur when strangers or family approach the dog too quickly. The dog is afraid and therefore lashes out at the victim.
- Territorial Aggression: These attacks are generally directed at strangers that approach their home or owner. Dogs will always try to defend their territory, especially from strangers.
- Prey Drive: Some dogs are predatory, so they chase smaller animals. Dogs can get confused and pursue children, thinking that they are a smaller animal.
- Pain: When animals are in pain, especially dogs, they can bite their owners and others. This isn’t one of the most common reasons for dog bites, but it can quickly happen if you approach a dog that is in duress.
- Punishment Related Attacks: If someone beats and kicks an animal, the animal can fight back.
- Redirected Aggression: If you approach a dog in the middle of a fight, and they bite you by accident, this is an example of redirected aggression.
For a free legal consultation with a dog bite lawyer serving Carrollton, call (404) 888-8888
What rights to victims of dog bites have?
You have the right to walk safely down your street or in your neighborhood park, without the fear of being bitten by a dog. Consequently, owners of dogs must make sure that their dogs aren’t a threat to others. So, dogs should be on leashes and safely contained within their property.
Owners of dogs are responsible for any injuries and damages that they inflict. If you have been injured by a dog, the owner is liable for your injuries. Before you talk to the owner, we recommend that you hire legal representation.
Carrollton Dog Bite Lawyer Near Me (404) 888-8888
A dog has bitten me, what do I do?
The first thing you should do is contact your local animal control. However, in most towns, you will need to contact the police. Make sure that you file a report on the owner of the animal that bit you. Next, you should seek medical attention. There are different degrees of dog bites, mild to severe. Some dog bites don’t break the skin, while other injuries result in disfigurement. Finally, we recommend seeking the help of a dog bite attorney. Most personal injury attorneys will provide a free consultation.
We also encourage you to gather as much information as possible at the scene. Make sure you get the owner’s name and address, as well as the breed and description of the dog. The more evidence you can gather, the more you can tell your attorney.
When should you contact a dog bite attorney?
If you have suffered from a dog bite that resulted in injuries and damages, you should contact a Carrollton personal injury attorney. You could be entitled to compensation for all your medical bills and costs. We’re on your side. Contact Bader Scott Injury Lawyers today to set up your free consultation.