What are common injuries from pedestrian accidents?
Pedestrians do not have any protection during accidents, so the injuries they suffer can be catastrophic. There are a large number of pedestrian accidents that result in wrongful death. These injuries can require weeks to recover from along with substantial medical bills. A pedestrian’s spine, head, arms, and legs are the most vulnerable in an accident because they are easily injured and have no protection. Some of the most common injuries include:
- Broken bones
- Road rash
- Spinal cord injuries
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Head and neck injuries
- Internal organ damage
- Herniated discs
In most accidents, the front of the car is what hits the pedestrian. Almost half of the injuries that pedestrians sustain are the result of contact with the vehicle. A little over 30 percent of these accidents occur because the pedestrian comes into contact with the ground.
For a free legal consultation with a pedestrian accidents lawyer serving Carrollton, call (404) 888-8888
What causes Pedestrian accidents?
Most accidents that occur on the road can be avoided. Every accident is different, but many pedestrian accidents have similar causes. Some of the leading causes of pedestrian accidents are:
- Distracted driving: Most accidents occur on the road because the driver isn’t paying attention. Georgia passed a law that even touching a cell phone while driving is illegal. So, many accidents occur because a driver is texting, eating, putting on makeup, or even reading behind the wheel.
- Speeding: Someone driving too fast for conditions doesn’t have control of their vehicle. Weather can make speeding even more dangerous, especially if there is water on the road. When a car is traveling twenty miles per hour, the risk of fatality is 10 percent. However, when a vehicle is traveling 40 miles per hour, that risk jumps up to 90 percent. So, you can see that the speed of the car directly impacts the level of injury
- Not obeying traffic signals: Intersections are the location of most accidents that occur on the road. When pedestrians have to cross it can be confusing, and automobiles don’t always pay attention to people walking on the road. Cars have a hard time sharing the road with anything smaller than them. Almost a quarter of pedestrian accidents occur in an intersection.
- Failure to check around a vehicle: Newer cars come equipped with all types of safety equipment. Some alerts tell you when something is in your blind spot or behind your vehicle. For an older vehicle, it is essential that the driver is aware of what is around their car at all times. Many children are injured because drivers don’t check what is behind their vehicle.
- Poorly designed roads: Sometimes, hazards left on the road can cause an accident. In these cases, government entities and contractors might be liable for your accident.
- Driving while intoxicated: This is one of the leading causes of many automobile accidents. Drivers under the influence of drugs and alcohol have slower reaction times while they are on the road. So, an impaired driver would not be able to respond quickly to any pedestrians crossing the road in a crosswalk.
Carrollton Pedestrian Accident Lawyer Near Me (404) 888-8888
Call Bader Scott Injury Lawyers Today
We want to help you throughout every part of your pedestrian accident case. We know that you’re injured, and you need results. Hiring an experienced Carrollton personal injury attorney will give you a better chance of receiving compensation. Contact Bader Scott Injury Lawyers offices today if you have suffered injuries in a pedestrian accident.