If you suffered injuries in an accident with a commercial truck driver in Decatur, you might be able to seek monetary compensation. A successful legal claim could result in significant compensation for your medical bills, pain and suffering, and other damages.
These accidents might result in substantial injury claims, but recovering the compensation you deserve is not always easy. A truck accident lawyer from our team could be a valuable resource for your Decatur personal injury claim.
You Could Seek Many Forms of Damages After a Truck Accident
Few accident circumstances routinely cause such devastating property damage and injuries as commercial truck accidents. These accidents can lead to devastating expenses and accident-related losses.
However, you could seek compensation for many of these losses, including:
- Medical costs: If you sustained injuries in an accident, you could be compensated for your emergency room care, medications, physical therapy, surgeries, hospital stays, and more.
- Property damage: If your car was totaled or required repairs, this could be included in your compensation.
- Lost income: You could seek reimbursement for any wages lost during your recovery.
- Pain and suffering: If the accident caused you serious pain or emotional suffering, we can help you seek compensation for this loss.
All of these losses could be recovered through an insurance claim or lawsuit. We can help you build a case with compelling evidence to show what you may deserve.
For a free legal consultation with a truck accidents lawyer serving Decatur, call (404) 888-8888
Potentially Liable Parties in a Truck Accident Lawsuit
One of the benefits of working with a Decatur attorney following a truck accident is that we can identify all of the responsible parties in your accident. As determining liability can be an especially complicated aspect of a truck accident case, you may find that working with a lawyer can be especially beneficial in this regard.
Potentially liable parties in these cases can include:
The Truck Driver
The obvious defendant in most commercial truck accident lawsuits is the driver of the truck itself. This is because their negligent acts are the most common cause of this type of collision. When a truck driver’s mistake results in an accident, they could be on the hook for any injuries they cause.
However, not all truck accident cases begin and end with a lawsuit against the commercial driver. This is due to the fact that the driver likely has substantially fewer assets available to cover your losses compared to other potential defendants. In some cases, a trucking company could instead be held responsible for your costs.
The Trucking Company
There are a few ways to pursue legal action against the trucking company. First and foremost, the trucking company could face liability for your injuries if the truck driver was operating within the scope of their employment during the accident.
Trucking companies can face liability for other reasons as well. If the company was negligent in its hiring practices, it could face a legal claim for putting a dangerous or unqualified driver behind the wheel of a commercial vehicle.
Not every truck accident occurs as the result of negligence by one of the individuals in the crash. In some cases, these accidents only occur because a truck or truck part malfunctions or fails.
When these malfunctions occur due to a defective part, you have the right to pursue a legal claim against the manufacturer. These claims could involve defects in the commercial truck or your own motor vehicle.
Sometimes, the poor condition of a public roadway can be the cause of a truck accident. Some examples could include missing road signs, defective guardrails, or dilapidated road surfaces. When truck accidents occur due to these conditions, you could have a claim against the government entity responsible for caring for that stretch of highway or road.
Decatur Truck Accident Lawyer Near Me (404) 888-8888
Forms of Negligence that Can Lead to Truck Accidents
According to the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA), roughly 87% of all truck accidents occur due to human error. Some of the driving errors or driving preparation errors that may contribute to a truck accident case include:
- Overloaded cargo. Large trucks are already difficult to maneuver under the best of circumstances. When a commercial vehicle is overweight or improperly loaded, the chances of a severe crash increase due to the additional difficulty of bringing the truck to a halt safely.
- Poor driving. Like any motor vehicle accident, these crashes frequently occur due to driver negligence. This could involve anything from speeding to driving while intoxicated.
- Fatigue. While fatigue can impact any motorist, it is a much more common problem with commercial drivers. Drivers that fail to comply with commercial rules regarding daily and weekly rests could be found liable.
- Jackknifing and rollovers. Another difficulty that comes with commercial trucks can occur when drivers lose control or skid sideways. This can result in a rollover accident or cause the truck to jackknife. These types of accidents can cover multiple lanes of traffic, causing large-scale damage for many drivers.
We can help to gather the necessary evidence to show that a truck driver was negligent—and can therefore be held liable for your compensation.
We Can Help You Determine if an Insurance Claim or Lawsuit is Best for You
When pursuing a personal injury lawsuit following a truck accident, there are two ways to resolve it. The first method involves a mutual settlement with the defendant or their insurance company. The second involves pursuing a verdict at trial.
Most truck accident cases settle. In many situations, the injured party could recover a fair monetary settlement before there is even a need to file a lawsuit.
When settlement is not an option, a trial is the next step. Winning at trial could result in a higher verdict than the defendant’s best settlement offer. However, a trial can be a lengthy process. We will work to settle your case quickly and for the best possible amount of compensation.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
You Could Recover Compensation Following a Truck Accident
If you suffered injuries in a Decatur truck accident, a lawyer from our firm could help you seek the compensation you deserve. The team at Bader Scott Injury Lawyers will fight for you from the start to finish of your case.
We recommend getting started on your case as soon as possible, as OCGA §9-3-33 limits the time injured people have to file a lawsuit. To learn more about how we could help, call us for a free consultation at (404) 888-8888.