Georgia law requires that motorists carry a minimum amount of insurance to protect other drivers on the roads in case of an at-fault collision. However, this does not mean that every driver on the roads in the state follows the law.
If a driver who hit you and caused injuries did not have the proper insurance on his or her motor vehicle, you may want to hire a Carrollton uninsured motorist accident lawyer from our team. At Bader Scott Injury Lawyers, we will work to help you receive the damages you deserve after this type of crash.
Securing Damages After an Accident
Depending on the details of your insurance policy and your ability to file suit against the at-fault driver, we can help you seek the following forms of compensation:
- Medical bills, if you needed emergency care, surgeries, hospitalization, physical therapy, medication, and more to treat your injuries
- Lost wages, including past paychecks you missed because of your injuries
- Reduced earning capacity, if your ability to earn will be affected in the future
- Pain and suffering, for physical pain and other challenges related to the injury
Still, you could face challenges in seeking fair compensation. When you are struck by a motorist who does not have the appropriate insurance coverage, you may believe that your auto insurance company will take care of you, providing you with compensation for all of your damages. Unfortunately, this does not always happen.
You may find that your insurance company disputes your injury claim or offers less coverage than you were expecting. If this occurs, you may want to hire a Carrollton uninsured motorist accident lawyer from our team to guide your case.
Proving Your Injuries
You may have to prove the levels of injury that you suffered, along with showing what kind of future damages you are facing to secure compensation. Your attorney can help you present your case to the insurance adjuster, using the facts to show what you deserve to receive in terms of financial compensation.
An important piece of information in your case will come from the medical reports that your doctors present. It is important that you follow the advice of the doctor throughout your recovery, attending all appointments and therapy sessions. This approach will allow you to receive an accurate prognosis, which helps to estimate your future care needs.
For a free legal consultation with a uninsured motorist accidents lawyer serving Carrollton, call (404) 888-8888
Moving Forward with an Uninsured Motorist Claim
Since some drivers operate without insurance, auto insurers have an option as part of your own coverage to help you should an uninsured motorist hit your car and cause injuries.
This type of coverage is called uninsured motorist coverage and underinsured motorist coverage, sometimes shortened to UM/UIM. Even though these two types of coverage are often discussed together and listed together in a policy, they are different types of coverage. Uninsured motorist coverage focuses solely on a driver who does not have any insurance.
Should You File a Lawsuit Or an Insurance Claim?
Before the uninsured motorist coverage on your own policy kicks in, you and your attorney may attempt to bring a personal lawsuit against the driver of the other vehicle, seeking to obtain payment for your medical bills, lost wages, and pain and suffering from the uninsured driver’s personal finances.
When you have to use your uninsured motorist coverage, it will work similarly to the liability insurance coverage that another driver would have. You would receive compensation for your medical bills and other damages. In some cases, an attorney from our team may be able to win a judgment for you that comes from both the other driver’s personal finances and your uninsured motorist coverage.
Carrollton Uninsured Motorist Accident Lawyer Near Me (404) 888-8888
What Bader Scott Injury Lawyers Can Do for You
When you work with our team, we can handle every aspect of your case for you so that you can focus on your recovery.
- Gather evidence to prove liability and your losses
- Handle all communications with an insurer for you
- Negotiate a fair settlement on your behalf
- Litigate and prepare your case for trial
- Advise you on the terms of your insurance policy and your coverage
- Advise you on when to accept a settlement offer
- Explain your legal options in easy-to-understand terms
- Keep you updated throughout the whole process of your case
We will work hard to make the legal process feel easy for you.
You Owe us Nothing Up Front for Our Services
You don’t have to worry about the cost of legal representation when you work with our team.
We work on a contingency-fee basis, which means you do not need any money up front to hire us to represent you. Our payment will come from a percentage of the final settlement in the case.
We don’t ask for any upfront payments such as hourly rates or retainers. We only get paid if we secure results for you.
What to Do After an Accident with an Uninsured Motorist
After an accident with an uninsured motorist, you can take certain steps to help build the foundation of your case.
- Collect witness contact information and take photos at the scene. Gathering your own evidence at the scene can be helpful for your case, if you are able to do so. You may also wish to collect a police report of the accident when it becomes available from the BuyCrash system, according to the Carrollton Police Department.
- Be careful about what you say regarding the accident. Avoid posting about the accident on social media and avoid making a recorded statement about the crash with an insurance company, as your words can be used against you as your case progresses.
- Speak with someone from our team to learn your options. We can help you understand how to proceed in an uninsured motorist case. A free call can help you clarify your options.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Why a Driver May Not Carry Insurance
Although the majority of drivers in the State of Georgia carry the required insurance as they operate their motor vehicles, some drivers do not. According to a 2015 study of all drivers in the United States from the Insurance Information Institute (III), roughly 13% of American motorists did not carry any insurance or the proper level of insurance to meet their local state laws.
The following are reasons why a driver may choose not to purchase auto insurance:
- Too costly: A driver who cannot afford insurance may choose to drive without it and take his or her chances.
- Increase in cost: A driver who has traffic tickets or has been in past accidents will see a significant increase in his or her insurance premium.
- Lack of understanding: A driver who has newly moved to Georgia may not understand the type of insurance he or she must carry to legally operate a motor vehicle in the state.
- Lapsed coverage: A driver’s insurance may have lapsed without his or her knowledge.
- Purposeful choice: A driver who believes he or she always drives safely may not see the need to purchase insurance.
Proper Insurance Coverage in Georgia
According to the Georgia Office of the Commissioner of Insurance and Safety Fire, all drivers in the state must carry at least the minimum levels of liability insurance. Typically, this insurance applies if the policyholder is found to be at fault in an accident. The money helps injury victims in the crash with their medical bills, lost wages, and emotional trauma.
Consequently, if the driver does not have the proper insurance, he or she will potentially leave victims in the crash without the financial benefits they deserve.
You do have a few options if an uninsured motorist hit you and caused injuries, however. A Carrollton uninsured motorist accident lawyer from our office can help you find the best way forward, which may include tapping your own insurance coverage.
Seeking Help with Your Injury Case
There is nothing in Georgia law that forces you to hire an attorney in a case like this. However, you may benefit from our help if you are struggling to receive the compensation you require or if you simply wish to let someone else handle the legal details for you.
The team at Bader Scott Injury Lawyers is ready to work hard on your behalf, seeking the fairest possible settlement. Call (404) 888-8888 as soon as possible for a free review of your circumstances.