If you or a loved one suffered injuries in an accident caused by a drunk driver, you may be eligible for compensation for your medical bills, lost income, and pain and suffering.
A Smyrna drunk driving accident lawyer at Bader Scott Injury Lawyers can investigate your case, determine liability, and file a personal injury claim or lawsuit on your behalf. You can discuss your case with a member of our team today during a free consultation.
Damages You Could Pursue in a Smyrna Drunk Driving Accident Case
When you are injured in an accident caused by a drunk driver, your entire life could be turned upside down. Your physical injuries may require multiple surgeries and months of rehabilitation. You may be missing time from work or can no longer perform your current job-related duties as a result of the crash.
Based on the circumstances of your case, you could pursue both economic and non-economic damages to financially help you through this difficult time. The damages you may be eligible to receive include:
- Medical expenses (past, current, and future)
- Lost income (due to the time missed from work for doctor’s appointments, etc.)
- Loss of future earning capacity
- Pain and suffering
- Mental anguish
- Disfigurement or permanent scarring
- Loss of consortium
- Funeral and burial costs (if you lost a loved one as a result of the accident)
We will first try to settle your claim through negotiations with the liable insurance company. During this process, we will submit your demand letter, present the cause of the accident and the cost of your damages, and review your coverage options. If this does not result in a fair settlement offer, then we can file a lawsuit and bring your case before a judge.
Filing for Wrongful Death Damages
If a family member passed away as a result of a drunk driver’s negligent actions, you have our sincere condolences. You may be able to bring a wrongful death claim. If the insurance company does not agree to a fair settlement, you could file a wrongful death lawsuit in civil court.
We will be able to help you navigate this process and determine if you have the basis for a wrongful death lawsuit.
For a free legal consultation with a drunk driving accidents lawyer serving Smyrna, call (404) 888-8888
Evidence We May Use to Prove Your Case
To hold the at-fault party accountable for your losses, you will need to provide evidence that proves your side of the story. A lawyer from our team can manage the evidence collection process on your behalf. You do not have to worry about speaking to witnesses or consulting with field experts because our team will do that for you.
Some pieces of evidence that your legal team may use to establish negligence include:
- The police report
- Photos and videos of your vehicle’s damage and your injuries
- Your medical records
- Traffic camera footage
- The results of a breathalyzer or blood test (if one was conducted)
- Invoices, receipts, and billing statements as they pertain to your damages
A lawyer from our team may be able to make use of other pieces of information beyond those listed above.
Smyrna Drunk Driving Accident Lawyer Near Me (404) 888-8888
Drunk Driving Laws in Georgia
Every day in the United States, nearly 30 people are killed in drunk driving-related crashes, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA). In 2019 alone, drunk driving accidents were responsible for more than 10,142 deaths. Driving under the influence of alcohol is a crime punishable by steep fines, license suspension or revocation, and even time behind bars.
A drunk driver faces harsh penalties in Georgia under the law based on whether it is the driver’s first, second, or third offense. If a driver has a blood alcohol content (BAC) of .08% or higher, they could be found guilty of drunk driving. The penalties a driver faces after a driving under the influence (DUI) conviction depends on if they have had any DUI convictions within the past decade.
Regardless of the criminal case against the other driver, you may be able to hold them financially accountable for their actions. You could receive compensation for your damages and losses through a personal injury claim or lawsuit. A Smyrna drunk driving accident lawyer from Bader Scott Injury Lawyers can help you with this legal process.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Time Limits for Filing a Personal Injury Lawsuit in Georgia
It is important to keep in mind that all states have set limits on the amount of time you have to file a lawsuit in civil court. According to O.C.G.A. § 9-3-33, you typically have two years to bring a personal injury lawsuit. The clock starts ticking the day the accident occurred.
If you try to file your case after the two-year window closes, your case could be dismissed and you could lose your opportunity to seek compensation. There could be exceptions based on the circumstances of your case. A personal injury lawyer from our firm can assist you with the laws and statutes that apply to your unique situation.
Steps You Can Take After a Drunk Driving Accident
We know that the aftermath of an accident can be confusing for many victims. However, consider that there are actions you can take to benefit your case for compensation.
We advise that you:
- Get the medical help you need and follow through on treatments. If you decide to pursue a personal injury case, linking the accident to your injuries will be important, so documenting your injuries is also key. Getting treated can also help you begin the path to recovery.
- Avoid giving a recorded statement to the insurance companies. An insurance company may contact you and ask for a recorded comment about the accident, but unfortunately, your words can be used against you in the settlement process. We can handle these communications for you if you choose to work with us.
- Gather your own documentation. Even though we will build evidence for you, it can be helpful for your case if you take your own steps to record evidence. If you have contact information for accident witnesses, this could be helpful. According to the City of Smyrna, you can also seek a police report of the accident from the BuyCrash system.
We also recommend seeking out a free case review from our team. This way, you can learn about your legal options and decide if our team’s help could benefit your case.
Contact Bader Scott Injury Lawyers for Help with Your Case
There is no doubt this is a stressful time for you and your family. You should not have to bear the financial burden of an accident that you did not cause. You can hold the at-fault driver accountable for their actions.
A Smyrna drunk driving accident lawyer from our team works on a contingency-fee basis. That means you do not have to pay anything out of pocket to have us work on your case. We get paid out of the settlement we secure for you. Call Bader Scott Injury Lawyers today at (404) 888-8888 to discuss your case for free with a member of our team.